Kip Hanrahan (born December 9, 1954) is an American jazz music impresario, record producer and percussionist.
Hanrahan was born in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in the Bronx to an Irish-Jewish family. He has an unusual role in the albums released under his name, one which he has analogized to that of a film director. He assembles players and materials, combining modern/avant-garde/free jazz figures like Don Pullen and Steve Swallow, Latin jazz players such as Milton Cardona and Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez, and occasionally rock musicians like Sting, Jack Bruce and Grayson Hugh, also Bassist,singer,song writer,producer Fernando Saunders.
He produced a number of significant recordings by the nuevo tango master Ástor Piazzolla in the last decade of Piazzolla's life, as well as recordings by Latin music figures including Jerry Gonzalez. Hanrahan also worked with the poet Ishmael Reed on three recordings with the Conjure Ensemble, featuring Taj Mahal on the first release. These side projects were not the only poetry-based discs: Darn It from 1994 celebrates the work of Paul Haines.
The list includes recordings released under Hanrahan's own name, as well as those released under the name Conjure.
- Coup de tête (recorded 1979-1981, released 1981)
- Desire Develops an Edge (1983)
- Vertical's Currency (1984)
- A Few Short Notes for the End Run (recorded 1984-1985, EP released 1986)
- Days and Nights of Blue Luck Inverted (recorded 1988-1989, released 1990)
- Tenderness (recorded 1988-1990, released 1990)
- Exotica (1993)
- All Roads Are Made of the Flesh (recorded 1984–94, released 1995)
- Beautiful Scars (recorded 2004-2007, released 2007)
- At Home in Anger (recorded 2007-2011, released 2011)
- Crescent Moon Waning - (recorded 2015, released 2017)
- Conjure: Music for the Texts of Ishmael Reed (recorded 1983, released 1985)
- Cab Calloway Stands in for the Moon (1988)
- Bad Mouth (2006)
- A Thousand Nights and a Night (1 - Red Nights) (recorded 1994-1996, released 1996)
- A Thousand Nights and a Night (Shadow Nights 1) (1998)
- A Thousand Nights and a Night (Shadow Nights 2) (recorded 1994-1998, released 1999)
- Original music from the soundtrack to Piñero (2002)
- Anthology (released 1993)
- Drawn from Memory (Greatest Hits, Or Whatever... Kip on Campus) (2000)
With Eddie Palmieri
- Sueño (1989)