Kevin Michael Schmitz (born October 1, 1983) is an American professional photographer in Los Angeles and New York. He is known for his advertising campaigns, fashion editorials and workshops in photography.
Schmitz was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and attended Grand Valley State University where he graduated in 2006 with a degree in photography. Then, Schmitz pursued a master's degree in fine arts at the Academy of Art, University of San Francisco, worked as an intern for Tim Priest, a photographer in Grand Rapids, Michigan and published his student work in 2006 in CMYK magazine. He married on September 27, 2014 to Rhadha Khaliana Schmitz.
As a professional photographer in West Michigan, he founded Kevin Michael Schmitz Photography and published eight photographic magazine editorial spreads including Vogue magazine in 2008. In addition to his role as CEO and founder of Elite Creative Consulting, a firm located in Hermosa Beach, California, he is the principal founder of the "Kevin Michael Schmitz Photography Scholarship" granted each year to a student majoring in photography in a 4-year college. He has also photographed celebrities such as Vivica A. Fox, Vanessa Williams, Rochelle Aytes and has been published in multiple editorials in 944 Magazine. He is now represented by his rep. Jorge Perez at JP Reps who represents some of the top photographers in the world for Vogue, Vanity Fair, Harpers Bazaar, and brands such as Dolce Gabbana.
In January 2009, Schmitz led, in Israel, a project entitled "ISRAEL: A Culture at War" about the people of Israel and the West Bank during the Gaza conflict. He photographed and interviewed soldiers and civilians on both sides of the conflict. His work was published internationally exposing the truth behind the conflict through personal stories at front lines. As a result, he collected photographs and authored magazine editorials published in the United States and Europe.
In October 2009, Schmitz signed with The Silverburn Gallery, a gallery in England which represents him through his fine art photographic prints in the U.K. and Europe. He is also represented by 46 Pictures Los Angeles, American Artist Representatives, New York & Paris.
Schmitz is the recipient of the 2009 "Young Alumni of the Year Award" at Grand Valley.
During his career, Kevin Michael Schmitz has authored covers, editorial spreads for several magazines and led advertising campaigns for several notable media. He is the CEO and founder of the "Photography Workshop Series" where he directs numerous workshops on studio lighting production in LA, Miami, New York, Denver, Chicago & Hawaii. His workshops are centered around art directing, storyboarding and creating advertising portfolio.
- He has photographed advertising campaigns for Miller Lite, Smirnoff, Coors Light, and Lululemon Athletica.
- He has designed several covers for The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine,
San Diego Magazine, 944 Magazine, Antenna Magazine.
- He has published editorials in the San Diego Magazine, Istanbul magazine at a 1500-year-old Byzantine palace on the Bosphorous, LA Hot magazine, Resource magazine, and Beach magazine.
- "Kevin Michael Schmitz Portfolio". Behance. Retrieved November 2014.
- Fotosiamo (November 2012). "Dynamic Location Lighting Tutorial by Kevin Michael Schmitz". SRL lounge. Retrieved November 2014.
- Heather DeWitt (March 2014). "Alumnus finds success in photos". Grand Valley State University. Retrieved October 2014.
- "Miller Lite Campaign by Kevin Michael Schmitz". Behance. Retrieved October 2014.
- "Ad Campaign for Smirnoff by Kevin Michael Schmitz". Behance. Retrieved November 2014.
- "Cover of The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine June 2012". Behance. Retrieved November 2014.
- "Cover of The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine June 2012". Issuu. 2012. Retrieved November 2014.
- Wilson, Meghan. "Fame Meets Fashion", The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine, USA, June 2012.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "Miami Heat", The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine, Issue 3 USA, August 2012.
- Busch, Jacob. "Living The Epic Lifestyle", The Los Angeles Fashion Magazine, USA, Septembre 2013.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "Secret Agent", San Diego Magazine, USA, Septembre 2008.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "Internal Affairs", 944 Magazine, Issue 7.9, USA, Septembre 2008.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "Alchemy of a Dream: Archetypes of The Collective Unconscious", 944 Magazine, Issue 7.10, USA, October 2008.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "Culture at War", 944 Magazine, Issue 8.4, USA, April 2009.
- Schmitz, Kevin Michael. "The Roots", Antenna Magazine, USA, April 2008.
- Ron Donoho (August 2008). "A Good, Long Life". San Diego Magazine. Retrieved November 2014.
- "Istanbul Magazine Editorial". Behance. Retrieved November 2014.