Kenn Nesbitt is an American children's poet. On June 11, 2013 he was named Children's Poet Laureate by the Poetry Foundation. He was the last one to receive this title before the Poetry Foundation changed the name to Young People's Poet Laureate.
He is a writer of humorous poetry for children, including the books My Hippo Has the Hiccups and Revenge of the Lunch Ladies. Nesbitt has collaborated with poet Linda Knaus on a collection of Christmas poems entitled Santa Got Stuck in the Chimney and with children's musician Eric Herman on several CDs. His poems also appear in numerous anthologies of humorous children's poetry. Nesbitt's writing often includes imagery of outrageous happenings, before ending on a realistic note. Being children's poems, many make fun of school life. He wrote his first children's poem, "Scrawny Tawny Skinner", in 1994. In 1997, he decided to write his first poetry book, My Foot Fell Asleep, which was published in 1998.
Nesbitt's poem "The Tale of the Sun and the Moon", was used in the 2010 movie Life as We Know It. It was set to music by Eric Herman.
Kenn Nesbitt's poems also appear in the following anthologies.
- Lansky, B. (2009). What I Did on My Summer Vacation. Meadowbrok Press.
- Lansky, B. (2008). I Hope I Don't Strike Out. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (2007). I've Been Burping in the Classroom. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (2006). Peter, Peter, Pizza Eater. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (2006). My Teacher's in Detention. Meadowbrook Press.
- (2005). If I Ran the School. Scholastic.
- Lansky, B. (2004). If Kids Ruled the School. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (2004). Rolling in the Aisles. Meadowbrook Press.
- (2004) My Dog Does My Homework. Scholastic.
- (2003) I Like it Here at School. Scholastic.
- Lansky, B. (1998). Miles of Smiles. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (1997). No More Homework! No More Tests!. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (1997). A Bad Case of the Giggles. Meadowbrook Press.
- Lansky, B. (1991). Kids Pick the Funniest Poems. Meadowbrook Press.