Ken Lim (born 1964) is a composer, music producer, publisher, artist manager and a concert promoter.
As the chief judge of the Singapore Idol series, he drew substantial attention and came under the spotlight with his remarks and deadpan expressions.
Known to be brutally honest and direct with his comments, he is noted for being extremely particular on the delivery of his task.
Reputed to be a godfather to the local music and entertainment industry since the 80s, Ken represented Singapore in numerous song festivals and competition since he was 16. Amongst them, Asia Song Contest, Seoul Song Festival, World Popular Song Festival.
It is known that during the first Asian Idol competition in Jakarta, Indonesia, Ken being the last judge, predicted the unlikely victory of Hady Mirza while the other judges were praising other contestants to win. On another occasion, during the audition rounds of the third season of Singapore Idol, he accurately foretold that one of the contestants, Sylvia, would be amongst the top 10 out of the thousands of participants that auditioned.
Ken runs one of Singapore's most established record companies, Hype Records, a set-up that does PR & Campaign conceptualization, Concert Promotions, Artiste & Music Promotions across Asia Pacific region, Record Production, Recording Facilities, Artiste Management, Music Publishing and TV & film productions.
With more than three decades of significant contribution with regards to the development of Singapore's pop culture, he excels not only in one but in many areas of the music and entertainment industry.
Ken has appeared in numerous magazine covers and press articles over the years and is a respected and well-known all-rounder icon.
Since 2010, Ken is also very much involved in communications and branding for many corporations and public campaigns. Projects were in the likes of Pioneer Generation, Skillfuture, Committee for Future Economy, Lee Kuan Yew Bilingual Fund, Passion Made Possible, etc.
Ken is married to Judy Hsu, a Taiwanese Canadian and Singaporean PR who is currently the Regional Chief Executive Officer (ASEAN & South Asia) of Standard Chartered Bank. They met while she was a successful recording artiste more than 35 years ago. They have two young boys, Jax, and Kaz who attends Catholic Junior College and Anglo Chinese School respectively.
Timeline of achievements
- 1977 – Started career at the young age of 13 when he was awarded a scholarship from The Yamaha School of Music. Participated actively in concerts and performances all over Asia;
- 1978 – An engineer and record producer at EMI Recording Studios while still attending school
- 1981 – Awarded 'The Most Outstanding Composition Award' at the Asia Popular Song Festival at the age of 17;
- 1984 – Represented Singapore at the Seoul Song Festival held in Korea with composition 'I Live in the past';
- 1985 – Awarded the 'Most Outstanding Television Theme Song' for 2 consecutive years;
- 1987 – Composition featured in Miss Universe International Pageant opening segment hosted by Singapore;
- 1991 – Commissioned to produce the official theme songs for the XI Asian Games in Beijing;
- 1993 – Commissioned to produce the official theme songs for the XVII Sea Games in Singapore;
- 1994 – Released self-debut instrumental album entitled 'Empyrean' under the EMI International label in Taiwan.
- 1995 – Secured a record-breaking recording contract for Stella Chang with EMI International;
- 1996 – Produced Fann Wong's debut album, Fanntasy, which spearheaded her entry into regional Asian showbiz;
- 1999 – Composed the movie soundtrack for the Hong Kong films The Truth About Jane and Sam and When I Fall in Love... with Both, each starring Fann Wong. and won Best Movie Theme Song at Compass.
- 1999 – Wrote the National Song 'Together'. The MV was directed by Tsui Hark
- 2000 – Executive Producer for the TV series 'Chemistry'
- 2000 – Produced Singapore's millennium song Moments of Magic, starring Fann Wong, Tanya Chua and Elsa Lin.
- 2001 – Commissioned by Ministry of Information and the Arts to produce the new version of the National Anthem of Singapore, 'Majulah Singapura'
- 2001 – Wrote 'The 'V’ in you' (performed by Dreamz FM, a local pop group), to commemorate the international year of volunteers'’ (Was the first Asian composition to be presented and performed at the United Nations Assembly in New York. This invitation was both Singapore's and Asia's first cultural presence at the United Nations);
- 2002 – Partnered Tsui Hark, Hong Kong's top film director, and produced the world's first cyber recording artistes, AM FM and won the Siggraph awards in New Orleans.
- 2003 – Consultant producer – 'True Hearts Charity Show' for Community Chest.
- 2004 – Became a Judge of Singapore Idol
- 2004 – Consultant producer – 2nd 'True Hearts Charity Show' for Community Chest.
- 2005 – Executive Producer for the TV Series 'Shooting Star"
- 2005 – Produced the National Song "Reach out for the Skies"
- 2005 – Named "Music Producer & Extraordinaire " in the Singapore Book of Records 2005
- 2006 – Returned as a judge for Singapore Idol season 2
- 2007 – Was one of 2 primary judges alongside Dick Lee for a reality show "Live The Dream"
- 2007 – Became a Judge of Asian Idol, representing Singapore.
- 2009 – Consultant producer – 3rd'True Hearts Charity Show' for Community Chest
- 2009 – Returned as chief judge for Singapore Idol Season 3 & wrote the winning song 'Touched by an Angel".
- 2010 – Promoted first ever public concert at Resorts World Sentosa with US artiste "Boys Likes Girls"
- 2010 – Executive Producer and songwriter of Everyone – 2010 Summer Youth Olympic Games theme song performed by Jody Williams, Jessica Mauboy, Tabitha Nauser, Steve Appleton (musician) and Sean Kingston.
- 2011 – Music Changes Lives Event
- 2011 – Consultant producer – 'True Hearts Youth Charity Show' for Community Chest.
- 2013 – Creator and Judge of The Final 1 (Season 1)
- 2015 – Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 1 (Social Cohesion/Manpower Concerns/Future as a Global City)
- 2015 – Executive Producer, Producer & Judge for The Final 1 (Season 2)
- 2015 – Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 2 (Retirement/Population/Education)
- 2016 – Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 3 (SkillsFuture)
- 2016 - Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 4 (Multiculturalism)
- 2017 - Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 5 (Committee on Future Economy)
- 2017 - Executive Producer and producer for Let's Think About It Season 6 (Preschool Education)
- 2018 - Executive Producer and producer for Lee Kuan Yew Bilingual Fund Languages Campaign
- 2019 - Executive Producer and producer for Passion Made Possible Campaign (feat. Ashley Isham, Tan Min Liang, Han Sai Por, Shabir, Sabrina Tan and Ang Kiam Meng)
- 2019 - Executive Producer and producer for "Happy Moments @ Ascott" branding videos for The Ascott Limited. The two videos were shot in Singapore, Tokyo and Paris.
Grooming of local talents
Discovered and developed numerous talents in the likes of Stella Chang, Rui En, Jeanette Aw, Taufik Batisah etc. & also responsible for exporting many local artistes Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, and China.