Katharine Cornell Gorka is the President of the Council on Global Security, a think tank, and the president of Thread Knowledge Group, a consulting firm, and is a well-known figure among anti-Islam campaigners.
Gorka graduated from The Hotchkiss School in Salisbury, Connecticut, in 1978. In the years 1978-1982, she attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Comparative Literature.
Later, she studied economics and law at the London School of Economics and graduated with a degree in International Political Economy, in 1987.
On 19 June 2019, Gorka was named the press secretary for Customs and Border Protection, the agency responsible for policing the US borders and facilitating legal trade and travel. Just tow months later, on 20 August 2019, Gorka announced that she is resigning from the agency, stating that the departure is a personal decision to spend more time with her family.
I’m at my third-year mark in my service to the [Trump] administration. And I felt like the time has come to spend more time with my family.
Previously, she had served as a Senior Adviser for the Department of Homeland Security, since January 2017. On March 17, 2016, Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz announced Gorka would be a member of his national security coalition which would advise him on foreign policy issues.
In the early part of her career, from 1992 to 1995, she a Senior Fellow at the World Policy Institute. After which, she became the Director at the National Forum Foundation, Central and Eastern Europe, until December 1996.
Gorka lived in Hungary for 12 years where she co-founded with her husband, Sebastian Gorka, the Institute for Transitional Democracy and International Security (ITDIS), which focused on issues of economic reform and the problems associated with former communists and secret police in post-communist democracies.
In the years 2009-2014, she was the Executive Director of the Westminster Institute, of which she is a co-founder.
Gorka has been a guest on many TV news shows. On December 4, 2015, she was a member of a panel at the Heritage Foundation talking about the Barack Obama administration's counterterrorism policy and strategy.
In 2012, she along with British activist, Patrick Sookhdeo, wrote Fighting the Ideological War: Winning Strategies from Communism to Islamism. Ayaan Hirsi Ali in an interview with the New York Times on March 19, 2015 said that if she could require the US President to read one book, it would be this book.
Gorka is a direct descendant of George Cornell, the founder of the Cornell Iron Works company (now called Cornell Iron), which became the largest iron works in the United States and worked with the leading architects of their day to take New York's buildings from four stories in the 1850s to thirty stories by 1899. Gorka wrote a book about the company called, Cornell Iron Works: The History of an Enduring Family Business.
Gorka is the daughter of M. Keen Cornell and Kathleen Ferenbach Ryon.
- With Sebastian Gorka, "ISIS: The Threat to the United States" Threat Knowledge Group, November 2015
- With Patrick Sookhdeo Fighting the Ideological War: Winning Strategies from Communism to Islamism (ISBN 978-1-62157-457-6), Isaac Publishing, 2012.
- "The Flawed Science Behind America's Counter-Terrorism Strategy" in Council on Global Security, October 2014.
- "The war between Al Qaeda and ISIS–and what it means for America" in The Journal of International Security Affairs, Fall/Winter 2014.
- Cornell Iron Works: The History of an Enduring Family Business (ISBN 9780615793498), Cornell Iron Works, 2013.
- "ISIS: The Threat to the United States". Threat Knowledge Group. 2015-11-21. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "Islamic State Radicalizes 'Thousands' in United States". Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "New White Paper from the Council on Global Security | Council on Global Security". Council on Global Security. 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "The Poison Tree of Jihad". National Review Online. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "The war between Al Qaeda and ISIS--and what it means for America—The latest analysis from Katharine Gorka | Council on Global Security". Council on Global Security. 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
|Article Title:||Katharine Gorka: American politician: press secretary for US Customs and Border Protection - Biography and Life|
|Author(s):||PeoplePill.com Editorial Staff|
|Publish Date:||26 Nov 2016|
|Date Accessed:||05 Aug 2020|