|Intro||Detitled German noble|
|Was||Military personnel Noble|
|Birth||13 February 1898, Strasbourg, Unterelsaß, Alsace-Lorraine, France|
|Death||2 August 1946, Saransk, Kazan Governorate, Russia (aged 48 years)|
Karl, Prince of Leiningen (German: Friedrich Karl Eduard Erwin Fürst zu Leiningen; 13 February 1898 – 2 August 1946) was the son of Emich, 5th Prince of Leiningen. He was the 6th Prince of Leiningen from 1939 until his death.
Karl was born at Straßburg, German Empire (which later became Strasbourg in France) (some websites have erroneously give Straßburg, Austria), the second child and first son of Emich, 5th Prince of Leiningen (1866–1939) (son of Ernst Leopold, 4th Prince of Leiningen and Princess Marie Amelie of Baden) and his wife, Princess Feodore of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1866–1932) (daughter of Hermann, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and Princess Leopoldine of Baden). Through his father he was descendant of Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden.
Karl married on 25 November 1925 in Langenburg to Grand Duchess Maria Kirillovna of Russia (1907–1951), eldest child of Cyril Vladimirovich, Grand Duke of Russia and his wife, Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and his third cousin through descent from Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. (Karl is descended from the son of Victoria's first marriage and Maria's descent is from the daughter of Victoria's second marriage).
They had seven children:
- Emich Kyrill, Prince of Leiningen (18 October 1926 – 30 October 1991) married Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (second of three daughter of Nicolas Frederick William, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg) on 10 August 1950. They have four children and six grandchildren.
- Prince Karl of Leiningen (2 January 1928 – 28 September 1990) married Princess Marie Louise of Bulgaria on 14 February 1957 and they were divorced on 4 December 1968. They have two sons and six grandchildren.
- Princess Kira of Leiningen (18 July 1930 – 24 September 2005) married Prince Andrew of Yugoslavia on 18 September 1963 and they were divorced on 10 July 1972. They have three children and four grandchildren.
- Princess Margarita of Leiningen (9 May 1932 – 16 June 1996) married Frederick William, Prince of Hohenzollern on 5 January 1951. They have three sons and nine grandchildren.
- Princess Mechtilde of Leiningen (2 January 1936) married Karl Bauscher on 25 November 1961. They have three sons and three grandchildren:
- Ulf-Karl Bauscher (20 February 1963)
- Berthold Alexander Eric Bauscher (31 October 1965) married Anett Kühfuss on 30 March 1996. They have three children:
- Franka Silke Stephanie Bauscher (12 September 1996)
- Erik Johann Berthold Bauscher (13 August 1998)
- Lorenz Bauscher (20 April 2002)
- Johann Karl Joachim Fritz Markwart Bauscher (2 February 1971) married Katja Jäger.
- Prince Friedrich of Leiningen (18 June 1938 – 29 August 1998) married Karin Göss on 9 July 1960 and they were divorced in 1962. He remarried Helga Eschenbacher on 23 August 1971.
- Prince Peter of Leiningen (23 December 1942 – 12 January 1943)
Prince of Leiningen
On the death of his father in 1939, Karl succeeded as the 6th Prince of Leiningen.
Prisoner of War
He was a prisoner of war in the Soviet Union where he died in 1946 at Saransk.
Titles and styles
- 13 February 1898 – 5 April 1904: His Serene Highness Prince Karl of Leiningen
- 5 April 1904 – 18 July 1939: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Leiningen
- 18 July 1939 – 2 August 1946: (titular) His Serene Highness The Prince of Leiningen
Notes and sources
- thePeerage.com - Friedrich Karl Eduard Erwin VI Fürst zu Leiningen
- Queen Victoria's Descendants, New York, 1987., Eilers, Marlene A., Reference: 195
Karl, Prince of Leiningen
House of LeiningenBorn: 13 February 1898 Died: 2 August 1946
|Titles in pretence|
Prince of Leiningen
Reason for succession failure:
German nobility titles abolished