Juan del Vado y Gomez (1625–1691) was a Spanish composer, organist and violinist. He is noted for the enigmatic canons, symbolic musical puzzles, dedicated to his king Charles II of Spain.
He came from a family of violinists. His father was a player of violin, lute and shawm in the Capilla Real of Madrid.
Works, editions and recordings
- Keyboard works - including four keyboard pieces preserved in P.Pm Ms 1577 Loe.
- Enigmatic canons
- tonos humanos in the Guerra Manuscript and other sources.
- Free scores by Juan del Vado in the Choral Public Domain Library (ChoralWiki)
- López, Jesús Gonzalo (1997), Juan del Vado: Cuatro Obras para Órgano, Cuadernos de Daroca I, Zaragoza, Institucion Fernando el Catolico, IFC.
- Robledo L. "The Enigmatic Canons of Juan del Vado (c. 1625-1691)," translated by Gerardo Arriaga, Early Music 15 (1987), p514-19.