Josef Meixner (April 24, 1908 in Percha near Starnberg – March 19, 1994 in Aachen, Germany) was a German theoretical physicist known for his work on the physics of deformable bodies, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, Meixner polynomials, Meixner-Pollaczek polynomials, and spheroidal wave functions.
Meixner began his studies in theoretical physics with Arnold Sommerfeld at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich in 1926. He was awarded his doctorate in 1931, with the submission of a thesis on the application of the Green function in quantum mechanics.
After a few years of teaching in high school, he became first an Assistant (1934) and, later, a Lecturer (1937) in theoretical physics at the University of Giessen. From 1939 to 1941 he was a Lecturer at the Humboldt University, Berlin. In 1942, he was appointed “Extraordinary” Professor of theoretical physics and Director of the Institute of Theoretical Physics at Rhine-Westfalian Institute of Technology, Aachen, Germany, being promoted to “Ordinary” Professor in 1949.
After Sommerfeld’s death in 1951, Meixner edited a volume and new editions of two other volumes of Sommerfeld’s six-volume Vorlesungen über theoretische Physik.
Meixner conducted research and taught graduate courses at the Institut für theoretische Physik of the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen (RWTH Aachen). Literature citations, as well as doctorates granted to his students, put Meixner at RWTH Aachen, or just Aachen, for years in each of the decades from the 1950s until his death in 1994. He was known for his work on the physics of deformable bodies (rheology), thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, Meixner polynomials, Meixner-Pollaczek polynomials, and spheroidal wave functions.
- Meixner, J. (1933). "Die Greensche Funktion des wellenmechanischen Keplerproblems". Mathematische Zeitschrift. 36 (1): 677–707. doi:10.1007/BF01188644.. This is Meixner’s doctoral thesis at Munich, submitted for publication 14 July 1931.
- Meixner, J. (1954). "On the Thermodynamic Theory of the Second Viscosity". Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences. 226 (1164): 51–56. Bibcode:1954RSPSA.226...51M. doi:10.1098/rspa.1954.0234.
- Meixner, J. (1973). "The entropy problem in thermodynamics of processes". Rheologica Acta. 12 (3): 465–467. doi:10.1007/BF01503000.. Meixner is cited as being at the Institut für theoretische Physik, RWTH Aachen. Received: 27 October 1972.
- Meixner, J. (1982). "Constitutive equations of the differential type as approximations". Rheologica Acta. 21 (4-5): 398–399. doi:10.1007/BF01534300.. Meixner is cited as being at the Institut für Theoretische Physik, Rhein.-Westf. Technische Hochschule Aachen, Germany. Received: 19 May 1982.
- J. Meixner and F. W. Schäfke Mathieusche Funktionen und Sphäroidfunktionen (Springer-Verlag, 1954)
- J. Meixner, F. W. Schäfke, and G. Wolf Mathieu functions and spheroidal functions and their mathematical foundations: further studies (Springer-Verlag, 1980)
- J. Meixner, editor Statistical Mechanics of Equilibrium and Non-equilibrium Proceedings of the International Symposium on Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics held June 15–20, 1964, in Aachen, Germany. (North-Holland Publishing Co., 1965)
Sommerfeld, Arnold Vorlesungen über theoretische Physik. Band 5: Thermodynamik und Statistik. Herausgegeben von Fritz Bopp und Josef Meixner. (Diederich, 1952)
Sommerfeld, Arnold Vorlesungen über theoretische Physik. Band 2: Optik. 2. Auflage, bearbeitet und ergänzt von Fritz Bopp und Josef Meixner. (Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft, 1959)
Sommerfeld, Arnold Vorlesungen über theoretische Physik. Band 3: Elektrodynamik. 3. Auflage, bearbeitet und ergänzt von Fritz Bopp und Josef Meixner. (Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft, 1961)