José Mari L. Chan (born March 11, 1945 in Iloilo City), commonly known by the nickname Joe Mari Chan is a Chinese Filipino singer, songwriter and businessman in the sugar industry. He is currently chairman and CEO of Binalbagan Isabela Sugar Company, Inc. (BISCOM) and A. Chan Sugar Corporation. He is also the chairman and president of Signature Music, Inc.
Chan first appeared on the local scene as the host and singer of a television show called "9 Teeners" of ABS-CBN in 1966. His first single Afterglow was released in 1967.
His first long playing album Deep in My Heart was issued in 1969. In 1973, he represented the Philippines in the World Popular Song Festival in Tokyo where his song Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile went into the final entries.
In 1975, he moved to the United States to run a branch office of their family's sugar business and remained there for 11 years. In 1986, he returned to the Philippines and went back to the music industry with the release of his album A Golden Collection.
In 1989, he released his album Constant Change. It was named Album of the Year by the Awit Awards, the local equivalent of the American Grammy Awards and reached the Diamond Record in terms of sales. It also sold in other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
In 1990, his Christmas album, Christmas in Our Hearts was released. It reached triple platinum status that same year, eventually earning the Double Diamond Record Award in 1995. The significant popularity of his iconic Christmas songs and the album during the holiday season earned him the title of "Father of Philippine Christmas Music".
In 1994 he released his eighth album, Thank You Love, where he has another song "Is She Thinking About Me" with Christine Bersola-Babao and another christmas song, "Christmas Past". His 2001 album A Heart's Journey won Album of the year in the Awit Awards. In 2005, he composed "We're All Just One" as the theme song of the (2005 Southeast Asian Games). In 2007 He released his 12th album Love Letters And Other Souvenirs.
In 2009, Joe Mari was inducted to the Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame.
In 2011, he released his 13th full-length album, The Manhattan Connection: The Songs of Jose Mari Chan. The album, which was produced by Janis Siegel of The Manhattan Transfer. The songs were reimagined by music producer Yaron Gershovsky.
In 2012, he released his 14th over-all album Going Home To Christmas. It was his second Christmas album after 22 years since Christmas In Our Hearts was released in 1990. In 2013, he guested in The Ryzza Mae Show. Christmas In Our Hearts was re-issued in 2015 to mark its 25th anniversary.
Chan graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from Ateneo de Manila University in 1967. He is married to Mary Ann Ansaldo and has five children, who have inherited their musical talent from him. His daughter, Liza, has been featured in several duets with him. His son, Michael is also a singer and guitarist.
|Award||Award Giving Body||Date|
|Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines for the Arts||Ten Outstanding Young Men Awards||1974|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Philippine Association of the Recording Industry||--|
|Dangal ng Musikang Pilipino Award||Philippine Association of the Recording Industry||--|
|Antonio C. Barreiro Lifetime Achievement Award||Metro Pop Foundation||--|
|Elite Platinum Award||ABS-CBN||2005|
|Inducted To The Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame 2009||Philippines Eastwood City Walk Of Fame||2009|
|Myx Magna Award||Myx Music Awards||2010|
|Dangal ng OPM||Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit||2011|
- Deep In My Heart (1969)
- Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile (1973) - Tokyo World Popular Song Festival
- Afterthoughts (1974)
- Here And Now (1975)
- A Golden Collection (1985)
- Constant Change (1989) - 2× Diamond
- Christmas In Our Hearts (1990, 1st Christmas Album) - 2× Diamond
- Thank You Love (1994)
- Strictly Commercial: The Jingles Collection (1997)
- Souvenirs (1998)
- A Heart's Journey (2001) - Awit Awards, Album of the Year
- Love Letters And Other Souvenirs (2007)
- The Manhattan Connection (2011)
- Going Home To Christmas (2012, 2nd Christmas Album after 22 years)
- Christmas In Our Hearts: 25th Anniversary Edition (2015)
- Beautiful Girl - the official music video shows Chan in a dinner jacket with some ladies appearing on-screen. Covered By Martin Nievera, followed by Christian Bautista & now Parokya Ni Edgar
- Afterglow - first single, 1967 (2012 remake version is a duet with Ramon Jacinto in the RJ Duets album).
- What Is A Sweetheart - (4th Jose Mari Chan TV Special)
- Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile - World Popular Song Festival. Covered By Abe Abe, followed by Lea Salonga,Gary Valenciano (with Kyla), Christian Bautista & now Ian Veneracion from the TV series A Love to Last
- Christmas in Our Hearts (Christmas In Our Hearts) - Chan's most popular holiday song. Featuring his daughter, Liza Chan.
- A Perfect Christmas - one of his other popular holiday songs
- Please Be Careful with My Heart (featuring Regine Velasquez) - used as the theme for the TV series Be Careful with my Heart
- Can't We Start Over Again
- Constant Change
- Is She Thinking About Me? (featuring Christine Bersola-Babao)
- If We Only Had More Time Together
- Easier Said Than Done
- Love At Thirty Thousand Feet - commercial jingle of Philippine Airlines
- My Girl, My Woman, My Friend - featuring Janet Basco
- Perhaps Love - featuring Liza Chan
- So I'll Go
- Here and Now
- We're All Just One - official anthem of the 2005 Southeast Asian Games
- Afraid For Love To Fade
- Counterpoint to Lennon & McCartney's "Here, There & Everywhere"
- Radio Romance- station identification jingle of Radio Romance 101.9 (now MOR 101.9)
- Big Beautiful Country - station identification jingle of the now-defunct television station Banahaw Broadcasting Corporation (BBC2)
- Tell Me Your Name
- Good Old Fashioned Romance
- A Love To Last A Lifetime - used as theme for the TV series A Love to Last
- Deep In My Heart
- Leave You
- High and Mighty
- Night Time
- Part of Your Life
- A Whole New World (duet with Lea Salonga)
- Mr. Songwriter
- Sing Me Your Song Again, Daddy
- No Rewind, No Replay
- Thank You Love
- The Sound Of Life
- Empty Space - original by the Bukas Palad Music Ministry
- Going To The Past
- Christmas Past
- Gold Ito! (Dyna Music, 1988)
- Ginintuang Diwa ng Pasko (Universal Records, 1989)
- Maayong Pasko (Universal Records, 1989)
- Presence (Universal Records 2002)
- Only Selfless Love 2 (Universal Records, 2003)
- Something More (JesCom Music, 2004)
- Best of OPM Love Songs (Universal Records, 2005)
- Best of OPM Acoustic Hits (Universal Records, 2005)
- OPM Gold Christmas (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2006)
- Sail On...His Most Holy Face (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Platinum Christmas (Universal Records, 2007)
- HOPE... Healing Of Pain and Enlightenment (Star Music, 2007)
- No. 1 Signature Hits OPM's Best (Vicor Music Corp., 2008)
- Senti 18 Pinoy Love Hits (Vicor Music Corp., 2008)
- Bongga! (The Biggest Retro OPM Hits) (Universal Records, 2008)
- Bongga! 2 (The Biggest Retro OPM Hits) (Universal Records, 2009)
- Paalam, Maraming Salamat Pres. Aquino (A Memorial Tribute Soundtrack) (Star Music, 2009)
- RJ Duets (MCA Music, 2012)
- A Love To Last (The Official Soundtrack) (Star Music, 2017)