John A. Drew was a prominent American trader in the Mackinac area in the early 19th century; it is now considered within the boundaries of Michigan. He also was a politician, serving in the Michigan House of Representatives for the 1841 session.
Early in his career, Drew was an agent under Michael Dousman, trading with the local Ojibwe and Odaawaa. Later, together with Edward Biddle, Drew was part owner of Biddle & Drew.
In the 1836 Treaty of Washington, with the Ottawa, etc. (7 Stat. 491), Drew was granted a tract of one section and three quarters, to his Indian family, at Cheboygan rapids, at the rate of four dollars.
Later in his career, he served as a Michigan House of Representatives for the 1841 session.
Like many fur traders who lived in the country among the tribes, John Drew had liaisons with Native American women. In Leech Lake he had a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Drew (b 1806-d June 2, 1888), with an Ojibwe woman whose name is not recorded. Mary Elizabeth married Joseph Lecuryer. He worked for Drew after the trader set up a partnership known as Aiken and Drew. Lecuryer later was appointed as the first lighthouse keeper in Michigan; he was responsible for the Potawatowam Light House on Rock Island.
While living in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, John Drew had a relationship with Marie Saugeuaqua, an Ojibwe neighbor. They had a daughter, Polly Drew (b. December 13, 1817-d. Feb 11. 1897). Saugeuaqua had been married to John Baptiste Cadotte II, a fur trader in the same village.
John Drew married Margaret Lasley on May 27, 1822, in the Mackinac area. Their children were:
- William T. Drew, born c. 1825.
- Matilda Drew, born c. 1829.
- George Drew.
- Oliver Drew.
- Harriet Drew.
- Julia Ann Drew.