Jennifer Lopez (Jennifer Lynn Lopez,) also known as JLo, is a singer, actress, author, dancer, and producer from America. Her career began as "Fly Girl" dancer on "In Living Color" show in 1991. After the stint in "In Living Color," she appeared in such movies as My Family (1995), Money Train (1995), Jack (1996), and rose to prominence with her portrayal of slain Tejana singer Selena Quintanilla Perez in the biopic Selena in 1997. She earned a Golden Globe nomination for her role in Selena.
Early Life and education
- Lopez was born on July 24, 1969 in the Castle Hill area of the South Bronx.
- Her parents, David Lopez and Guadalupe Rodriguez, a schoot teacher, were born in Ponce, Puerto Rico. The two met while living in New York City. Jennifer has two sisters - Leslie, a homemaker, and Lynda, a journalist.
- Growing up, Lopez always wanted to become a singer and actress, or even a "famous movie star." She began taking singing and dancing lessons at the age of five. In school she also excelled in gymnastics and athletics.
- In the gyms, she was called "La Guitarra" because her body curved like a guitar. In her neighborhood, the Bronx, they call her "The Supernova".
- Growing up, she enjoyed salsa, merengue, bachata, and mainstream music like pop, hip-hop and R&B.
- Jennifer's parents were not too excited about her aspirations of becoming a movie star. She enrolled in Baruch college to please her parents, but dropped out only after a semester.
- To pursue her dreams, she eventually moved out of their family home and into an apartment in Manhattan.
- After finishing high school, she briefly worked in a law office, while taking dance classes at night.
- In the early 90s, she worked as a backup dancer for New Kids on the Block.
- She rose to prominence with her job as a "Fly Girl" dancer on "In Living Color" TV show.
- After "In Living Color," she danced for singer-actress Janet Jackson.
- Her first major big-screen role in the 1995 movie "My Family" in which she portrayed Young Maria. For her performance, she received a nomination for Best Supporting Female for Independent Spirit Award.
- She then worked in "Money Train" with Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes, and in "Jack," before getting her breakthrough role in the movie "Selena" in 1997.
- Soon after, she worked in the horror film "Anaconda" with Ice Cube and Jon Voight, "U turn" with Sean Penn and Billy Bob Thornton, and "Out of Sight" with George Clooney.
- In 1997, she was chosen as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World by People magazine.
- She launched her singing career in 1999 with single, "If You Had My Love." She became the first artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 with a debut single since Britney Spears.
- In 2000, she starred in "The Cell" a science fiction thriller film, with Vince Vaughn and Vincent D'Onofrio. The film was the directorial debut of Tarsem Singh.
- She released her second album, J.Lo, in 2001. The album was an instant commercial success and debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200.
- Her success streak continued with the romantic comedy "The Wedding Planner" in which she starred opposite Matthew McConaughey.
- In 2001, she was voted number 1 in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women list. She was also named E!'s "Top 20 Entertainers of 2001".
- In the same year, 2001, she also launched "J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez," her own clothing and accessory company.
- She starred in "Angel Eyes" in 2001, which didn't do well on box office.
- She released her third studio album "This Is Me... Then" in 2002. She dedicated the album to her fiancé at the time, Ben Affleck.
- In 2002, she starred opposite Ralph Fiennes in the romantic comedy "Maid in Manhattan". The movie became the highest-grossing film of her career.
- She then starred in "Gigli" opposite Ben Affleck in 2003. The movie bombed at the box office.
Jennifer Lopez with Marc Anthony
- From early 1997 to early 1998, Lopez was married to Cuban waiter Ojani Noa.
- She briefly dated record producer and rapper Sean Combs while working on her album "On the 6". The couple was arrested in connection with a nightclub shooting and they were found with a stolen gun. The charges against Lopez were dropped, and Combs was tried and acquitted.
- She then dated and her backup dancer Cris Judd and married in late 2001. They divorced in June 2002.
- After ending her second marriage, she began dating Ben Affleck to whom she became engaged in November 2002. They never married and broke-up in early 2004. Incidenly, Affleck and Judd shared same birth day.
- After breaking up with Affleck, she dated her longtime friend Marc Anthony, and married him the same year.
- With Anthony, she had two children -- son Maximilian David, and daughter, Emme Maribel.
- Her marriage with Anthony ended in a divorce in 2002.
- From October 2011 to August 2016, she dated her former backup dancer Casper Smart.
- In December 2016, rumors started flying that she is dating Drake.