|Birth||27 November 1926 (Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, U.S.A.)|
James Patrick Quirk (born November 27, 1926) is a Retired Caltech Professor of Economics. Other universities Dr. Quirk has taught at include: University of Minnesota, Purdue University, Kansas University, Montana State University, University of Santa Barbara, University of Washington, Ole Miss, and University of Maryland (Germany).
He also had a love for Jazz and played the cornet with several different Jazz bands. One band he was a member of was "The Salty Dogs". The Salty Dogs produce an album "On the River with the Salty Dogs".
He is the author of several books:
- Quirk, James P. The Ultimate Guide to College Football: Rankings, Records, and Scores of the Major Teams and Conferences. Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2004.
- Quirk, James P., and Rodney D. Fort. Pay Dirt: The Business of Professional Team Sports. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1992. According to WorldCat, the book is in 961 libraries, and was the Runner-up for the 1003 Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award .
- Quirk, James P., and Rodney D. Fort. Hard Ball: The Abuse of Power in Pro Team Sports Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1999.
- Quirk, James P., Douglas Hale, George Lady, & John Maybee. Nonparametric Comparative statics and Stability Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1999.
- Quirk, James P. Minnesota Footbal: The Golden Years 1932-1941, Self-Published, 3rd Printing edition (1985).
- Quirk, James P. Solution Manual Intermediate Microeconomics 2nd Edition. Chicago: Science Research Associates, 1983.
- Quirk, James P., Katsuaki L Terasawa, and David Whipple. Coal Models and Their Use in Government Planning New York, Prager, 1982.
- Quirk, James P., and George Horwich. Essays in Contemporary Field of Economics west Lafayette, Indiana,Purdue, 1981.
- Quirk, James P., and Duncan McDougall. Microeconomics Chicago: Science Research Associates, 1981.
- Quirk, James P., and Duncan McDougall. Macroeconomics Chicago: Science Research Associates, 1981.
- Quirk, James P. Intermediate Microeconomics. Chicago: Science Research Associates, 1976.
- Quirk, James P., and Rubin Saposnik. Introduction to General Equilibrium Theory and Welfare Economics. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1968.
He is the author of several papers: According to WorldCat. his most cited article, JP Quirk, R Saposnik "Admissibility and measurable utility functions" The Review of Economic Studies 29.2 (1962): 140-146. has received 529 citations
- Quirk, James P., and William Delehanty."Equity and Efficiency in Correcting the Concentration of Economic and Political Power in the US Economy", May 2016.
- Quirk, James P., and Quentin Quirk. "College Football Programs From 1869 Onward", CD, 2007.
- Quirk, James P., and Katsuaki L Terasawa. "The Choice of Discount Rate Applicable to Government Resource Use (R3464)" Rand Report, December 1987.
- Quirk, James P., and Burness H, Stuart. "Water Law, Water Transfers, and Economic Efficiency: the Colorado River", Journal of Law and Economics 23, 111-134, 1980.
- Quirk, James P., and Burness H, Stuart. "Economic Aspects of Appropriative Water Rights", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 7(4), 372-388. 1980.
- Quirk, James P., and Burness H, Stuart. "Appropriate Water Rights and the Efficient Allocation of Resources", The American Economic Review 69(1), 25-37, 1979.
- Quirk, James P., and Mohamed El-Hodiri. "Stadium Capacities and Attendance in Professional Sports" Management Science and Leisure, 1975
- Quirk, James P., and Mohamed El-Hodiri. "Economic Theory of Sports leagues" Public Policy and Professional Sports, Brookings Institution, 1974.
- Quirk, James P., and Mohamed El-Hodiri. "An Economic Model of a Professional Sports league" The Journal of Political Economy, Vol 79, No. 6 ( Nov. - Dec, 1971). pp. 1320-1319.
- Quirk, James P., "The Competitive Equilibrium: A Qualitative Analysis". Chapter in Economics Models, Estimation and Risk Programming Essays in Honor of Gerhard Tintner. Volume 15 of the series Lecture Notes in Operations Research and Mathematical Economics pp 58–85, Lawrence Kansas, University of Kansas, 1969.
- Quirk, James P., and Arvid M. Zarley. "Hypothesis Formulation in Quantitative Economics: A Contribution to Demand Analysis," Quantitative Economics Lawrence, Kansas University Press of Kansas, 143-98, 1968