Iva Mihanović (also known as Iva Schell) (born 19 April 1978 in Ulm, Germany) is a German-Croatian soprano opera and concert singer and the widow of the actor, producer, director and Oscar prize winner Maximilian Schell.
Iva Mihanović is one of three children. Her father is chief physician at the Neu-Ulm Donauklinik hospital.
Iva Mihanović lives in Preitenegg, Austria, and Ulm. In August 2013 she married Maximilian Schell (47 years her senior), with whom she was romantically involved since 2008 and who died February 1, 2014 in Innsbruck.
Iva Mihanović is patron of Education World Maximilian Schell in Wolfsberg, as well as the HistiozytoseHilfe eV.
From 1998 to 2008, she studied singing with Edith Wiens at the Musikhochschule Augsburg and Ilse Hahn at the University of Music Carl Maria von Weber Dresden. Iva attended master classes with Brigitte Fassbaender, Edith Mathis, Sena Jurinac, Irmgard Boas, and Linda Plech.
From 2001 to 2006, Iva Mihanović was a member of the Theater Ulm, where she sang many opera, operetta and musical roles 2009 until 2011 and again since the season 2015/2016 the ensemble of the Leipzig Opera / Musical comedy. Since 2006, she has performed at the following theaters:
- 2006–2007: Theater St. Gallen (CH), Pepi Pleininger (Wiener Blut)
- 2006–2007: Theater Augsburg, Valencienne (The Merry Widow)
- 2007–2013: Hessian State Theatre in Wiesbaden, Ottilie (The White Horse Inn) Christl (. The Bird Seller)
- 2007–2008: Theater Ulm, Annie (Der Freischütz) and Christl (Vogelhändler)
- 2008: Operetta Club Balzers (FL), Juliska (mask in blue)
- 2009: Luzerner Theater (Switzerland), Christl (Vogelhändler)
- 2009: Stadttheater Baden near Vienna (A), Dolly Marbanks (The Orlov)
- 2012: Landestheater Coburg, Ciboletta (A Night in Venice)
- 2012: Gärtnerplatz Theatre Munich (The White Horse Inn)
She performed at the following festivals:
- Operetta Festival Bad Ischl (A) – 2003 Juliette Vermont (Count of Luxembourg), 2004 Ciboletta (A Night in Venice), 2013 Minnie Fay (Hello, Dolly!)
- International Music Festival "Classionata" Mümliswil (CH) – 2005 Adele (Fledermaus)
- Castle Festival Schönbrunn Wien (A) – 2005/06 Pepi Pleininger (Wiener Blut)
- Mörbisch Lake Festival (A) – 2007 Pepi Pleininger (Wiener Blut), directed by Maximilian Schell
- Schlossfestspiele Langenlois (A) – 2008 Countess Stasi (Csárdásfürstin), 2010 Ciboletta (A Night in Venice)
- Mörbisch Lake Festival (A) – 2011 Arsena (The Gypsy Baron), directed by Brigitte Fassbaender
- Richard Wagner Festival Wels (A) – 2012 flower girl (Parsifal)
- Richard Wagner Festival Wels (A) – in 2013 and 2015 Young Shepherd (Tannhäuser)
- Freilichtspiele altusried (D) – 2014 Ottilie (The White Horse Inn)
- Stage Baden (A) – 2015 Friederike (The Jolly Farmer)
Prizes and awards
- 2000 Promotion and Artist grant from the city of Ulm
- 2002 Bayreuth scholarship of the Richard Wagner Society International eV
- 2002 winner of the "International Singing Competition Festival City Passau"
- 2005 finalist in the "3. Heinrich Strecker operetta competition "for operetta and Wienerlied Baden bei Wien
- 2008 semi-finalist in the Hans-Gabor-Belvedere Competition (category operetta) in Vienna
- 2009 finalist at the 24th Int. Robert Stolz Competition for Viennese operetta in Hamburg