Irving Rein is a professor of communication studies at Northwestern University. He is the author of many books on effective communication strategies and marketing.
In 1993 he joined with Philip Kotler and Donald Haider to write about place marketing. In 2006 Rein and Kotler worked with Ben Shields to examine modern sports marketing and communication in The Elusive Fan: Reinventing Sports in a Crowded Marketplace. In 2014, Rein and Shields partnered with Adam Grossman to analyze the future of leadership in the sports industry with "The Sports Strategist: Developing Leaders for a High-Performance Industry". He is a pioneer in the study of persuasion and influence in popular culture, teaching courses on the subject at Northwestern beginning in the 1960s. He has also written on rhetoric and public communication, celebrity and branding, and crisis management. He was a recipient of the National Speakers Association's Outstanding Professor Award for 1999–2000, and in 2011, received the Clarence Simon Award for Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring in the School of Communication. He has been a communication consultant for many companies and organizations, including Major League Baseball, as a member of the Commissioner's Initiative for the 21st Century, and NASA, where he conducted public communication seminars as part of their astronaut training program. He also served as a Communication Advisor for the political campaigns of Richard M. Daly, Adlai Stevenson III, Harold Washington, Paul Simon, and Lisa Madigan.
- Rein, I. , Shields, B. , & Grossman, A. (2014) The Sports Strategist: Developing Leaders for a High-Performance Industry, Oxford Printing Press.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Shields, B. (2006) The Elusive Fan : Reinventing Sports in a Crowded Marketplace, New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , Hamlin, M. , & Stoller, M. (2006) High Visibility : Transforming Your Personal and Professional Brand, (3rd ed.). New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Kotler, P. , Gertner, D. , Rein, I., & Haider, D. (2006) Marketing Latin American and Caribbean Places, São Paulo, Pearson Brazil.
- Kotler, P. , Hamlin, M. , Rein, I. , & Haider, D. (2002) Marketing Asian Places, Singapore, John Wiley Asia.
- Kotler, P. , Asplund, C. , Rein, I. , & Haider, D. (1999) Marketing Places Europe, London, Financial Times Prentice Hall.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Stoller, M. (1997) High Visibility: The Making and Marketing of Professionals into Celebrities, (2nd ed.), Lincolnwood, Ill., NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company.
- Kotler, P. , Haider, D. , & Rein, I. (1993) Marketing Places: Attracting Investment, Industry, and Tourism to Cities, States, and Nations, New York, The Free Press.
- Rein, I. , Kotler, P. , & Stoller, M. (1987) High Visibility, New York, Dodd Mead.
- Rein, I. (1981) The Public Speaking Book, Glenview, Ill., Scott, Foresman.
- Rein, I. (1976) The Great American Communication Catalogue, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall.
- Rein, I. (1972) Rudy's Red Wagon: Communication Strategies in Contemporary Society, Glenview, Ill., Scott, Foresman.
- Rein, I. (1969) The Relevant Rhetoric: Principles of Public Speaking Through Case Studies, New York, The Free Press.