|Birth||March 6, 1939 (Rome, Province of Rome, Lazio, Italy)|
Infanta Margarita of Spain, Duchess of Soria, 2nd Duchess of Hernani, Grandee of Spain (Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias; born 6 March 1939), is the younger sister of King Juan Carlos I of Spain.
Infanta Margarita was born in Rome as the younger daughter of Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona, and Princess María Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. Margarita has been blind since birth.
She married the physician Carlos Zurita y Delgado on 12 October 1972 in Estoril. They have two children:
- HE Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 9 August 1973).
- HE María Sofía Emilia Carmen Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 16 September 1975).
Margarita renounced her right of succession upon marriage.
On 6 January 1979, the Infanta's cousin, Manfredo de Borbón, 1st Duke of Hernani, died and willed his ducal title to be inherited by Margarita. The King granted this request, and on 27 May 1981, she became 2nd Duchess of Hernani with accompanying dignity Grandee of Spain. The peerage title referres to the town Hernani, Spain. The next month, on 23 June 1981, she was also granted a higher dukedom for life by the king, and became Duchess of Soria (referring to the city Soria in Spain).
In 1989, alongside her husband, they created the Fundación Cultural Duques de Soria (The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation). She's also Honorary President of Madrid's delegation of UNICEF and of the Spanish Heart Foundation.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- 6 March 1939 – 27 May 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita of Spain
- 27 May – 23 June 1981: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Hernani
- 23 June 1981 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria and Hernani
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias de Zurita, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Soria, Grande de España, Duchess of Hernani, Grande de España.
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Spain: 1, 192nd Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Queen Maria Luisa
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise
- Greek Royal Family: Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Beneficence
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Calabrian Royal Family of Two Sicilies: Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Two Sicilian Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
|Ancestors of Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria|