Hirokazu Koreeda (是枝 裕和, Koreeda Hirokazu, born June 6, 1962) is a Japanese film director, producer, screenwriter and editor.
Koreeda worked as an assistant director on documentaries for TV Man Union. He directed his first television documentary, Lessons from a Calf, in 1991. His 2013 film Like Father, Like Son was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. It won the Jury Prize and won a commendation from the Ecumenical Jury. In October 2013 it won the Rogers People’s Choice Award at the 2013 Vancouver International Film Festival. His 2015 film Our Little Sister was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. His 2016 film After the Storm debuted to critical acclaim at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival in the Un Certain Regard category.
Style and influences
According to the Harvard Film Archive, Koreeda's works "reflect the contemplative style and pacing of such luminaries as Hou Hsiao-Hsien and Tsai Ming-liang."
In a 2009 interview, Koreeda stated that Still Walking was based on his own family.
|1991||Lessons from a Calf||Director (documentary)|
|1994||August without Him||Director (documentary)|
|1996||Without Memory||Director (documentary)|
|1998||After Life||Director, writer, editor|
|2001||Distance||Director, writer, editor|
|2004||Nobody Knows||Director, producer, writer|
|2008||Still Walking||Director, writer, editor|
|2008||Daijōbu Dearu Yō ni: Cocco Owaranai Tabi||Director (documentary)|
|2009||Air Doll||Director, producer, writer, editor|
|2011||I Wish||Director, writer|
|2013||Like Father, Like Son||Director, writer, editor|
|2015||Our Little Sister||Director, writer, editor|
|2016||After the Storm||Director, writer, editor|
- Lessons from a Calf (1991)
- Going My Home (2012)
- 1995: Venice Film Festival - Golden Osella, Best Director (Maborosi)
- 1998: Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema - Best Film and Best Screenplay (Wonderful Life)
- 2004: Blue Ribbon Awards - Best Film and Best Director (Nobody Knows)
- 2009: Asian Film Awards - Best Director (Still Walking)
- 2013: Cannes Film Festival - Jury award (Like Father, Like Son)
- 2015: Yokohama Film Festival - Best Director (Our Little Sister)
- 2016: Films from the South - Best Film (After the Storm)
- 「海街diary」が5冠、「お盆の弟」が4冠 (in Japanese). Nikkan Sports News. Retrieved 2015-12-05.