|Intro||German theologian and orientalist|
|A.K.A.||Hermann Friedrich Wilhelm Leopold Guthe|
|Was||Anthropologist Linguist Archaeologist Religious scholar Theologian Professor Educator|
|Type||Academia Literature Religion Social science|
|Birth||10 May 1849, Brunswick Land, Germany|
|Death||11 August 1936, Leipzig, Germany (aged 87 years)|
Hermann Guthe (May 10, 1849, Westerlinde - August 11, 1936, Leipzig) was a German Semitic scholar.
He was educated at Göttingen and Erlangen, and afterwards worked for several years as a private tutor. In 1884 he became a professor of Old Testament exegesis at Leipzig University.
From 1877 to 1896 he edited the Zeitschrift, and from 1897 to 1906 the Mitteilungen and Nachrichten, of the German Palästina-Verein, full name: Deutschen Vereins zur Erforschung Palästinas ("German Association for the Study of Palestine"), an association that he was a co-founder of in 1877.
In 1881 and 1894 he traveled in Palestine. On the first trip he participated in an excavation on the southeast hill of Jerusalem, and in 1894 and 1912, he was in Palestine in order to determine research opportunities on behalf of the association.
He wrote on some of the minor prophets in Emil Friedrich Kautzsch's translation of the Old Testament and a metrical version of Amos (1907) with Eduard Sievers. His published work was in the fields of philology and religion and of archæology and topography, the more important titles being:
- Ausgrabungen bei Jerusalem (1883) – Excavations in Jerusalem.
- Palæstina in Bild und Wort (1883–84), with Georg Ebers
- Das Zukunftsbild Jesaias (1885).
- Palæstina (1908).
- Bibel-Atlas (1911).
- Geschichte des Volkes Israel (third edition, 1912).
He was also a contributor to the 1903 Encyclopaedia Biblica.
References and external links
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gilman, D. C.; Peck, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz: Guthe, Hermann. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Band 2, Bautz, Hamm 1990, ISBN 3-88309-032-8, Sp. 404–405.