|Birth||18 March 1722 (Greiz, Greiz, Thuringia, Germany)|
|Death||28 June 1800 (Greiz, Greiz, Thuringia, Germany)|
Heinrich XI, Prince Reuss of Greiz (German: Heinrich XI Fürst Reuß zu Greiz; 18 March 1722 – 28 June 1800) was the first Prince Reuss of Greiz from 1778 to 1800.
Heinrich XI was born at Greiz, Reuss, youngest child of Count Heinrich II Reuss-Obergreiz (1696–1722), (son of Heinrich VI, Count Reuss-Greiz and Baroness Henriette Amalie von Friesen) and his wife, Countess Sophie Charlotte von Bothmer (1697–1748), (daughter of Count Johann Kaspar von Bothmer and Gisela Erdmuth von Hoym).
Heinrich succeeded his brother Henry IX as Count of Reuss-Obergreiz in 1723. After the death of Count Henry III Reuss-Untergreiz, in 1768, including the city of Untergreiz passed to the domains of the Heinrich XI and he was able to gather these possessions and guaranteed the line of succession.
Prince Reuss of Greiz
On 12 May 1778 Heinrich was elevated to Prince (German: Fürst) by the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. He received the Order of Saint Stephen of Hungary as well.
Heinrich XI married on 4 April 1743 in Köstritz to Countess Conradine Reuss-Köstritz (1719–1770), youngest daughter of Heinrich XXIV, Count Reuss-Köstritz, and his wife, Baroness Marie Eleonore Emma von Promnitz-Dittersbach.
They had eleven children:
- Count Heinrich XII Reuss-Greiz (25 April 1744 – 30 December 1745)
- Countess Amalie Reuss-Greiz (25 October 1745 – 3 October 1748)
- Heinrich XIII, Prince Reuss-Greiz (16 February 1747 – 29 January 1817), married in 1786 to Princess Wilhelmine of Nassau-Weilburg, had issue.
- Princess Friederike Reuss of Greiz (9 July 1748 – 14 June 1816), married firstly in 1767 to Friedrich Ludwig, Count of Castell-Rüdenhausen, no issue, divorced in 1769; Married secondly in 1770 to Friedrich Wilhelm, Prince of Hohenlohe-Kirchberg, no issue.
- Prince Heinrich XIV Reuss-Greiz (6 November 1749 – 12 February 1799), married in 1797 to Marie Anne Meyer, no issue.
- Prince Heinrich XV Reuss-Greiz (22 February 1751 – 30 August 1825)
- Princess Isabelle Auguste Reuss-Greiz (7 August 1752 – 10 October 1824), married in 1771 to Burgrave Wilhelm Georg of Kirchberg-Hachenburg, had issue.
- Countess Marie Reuss-Greiz (1 November 1754 – 28 September 1759)
- Princess Viktoria Reuss-Greiz (20 January 1756 – 2 December 1819), married in 1783 to Wolfgang Ernst II, Prince of Isenburg and Büdingen in Birstein, no issue.
- Count Heinrich XVI Reuss-Greiz (30 August 1759 – 13 December 1763)
- Prince Heinrich XVII Reuss of Greiz (25 May 1761 – 27 February 1807), married in 1805 to Babette von Wenz, no issue.
Heinrich married secondly on 25 October 1770 in Frankfurt am Main to Countess Alexandrine zu Leiningen-Dagsburg-Heidesheim (1732–1809), second daughter of Christian Karl Reinhard, Count of Leiningen-Dagsburg-Heidesheim, and his wife, Countess Catharine Polyxene of Solms-Rödelheim und Assenheim; they had no issue.
Titles and styles
- 18 March 1722 – 17 March 1723: His Illustrious Highness Count Heinrich XI Reuss-Obergreiz
- 17 March 1723 – 17 March 1768: His Illustrious Highness The Count Reuss-Obergreiz
- 17 March 1768 – 12 May 1778: His Illustrious Highness The Count Reus-Greiz
- 12 May 1778 – 28 June 1800: His Serene Highness The Prince Reuss-Greiz
|Ancestors of Heinrich XI, Prince Reuss of Greiz|
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Heinrich XI, Fürst Reuss
- Ancestors of Queen Juliana, Jaarboek Centraal Bureau Genealogie, Den Haag, Reference: 246
- L'Allemagne dynastique, Huberty, Giraud, Magdelaine, Reference: 309
- Les 256 quartiers genealogiques de Jacques Henri VI, chef de la maison de France, 1980., Vollet, Charles, Reference: 174
Heinrich XI, Prince Reuss of Greiz
House Reuss of Greiz
Cadet branch of the House of ReussBorn: 18 March 1722 Died: 28 June 1800
|New title|| Prince Reuss of Greiz
1778 – 1800