|Intro||Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
|Birth||6 May 1747 (Bad Arolsen)|
|Death||9 September 1813 (Bad Pyrmont)|
George I, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (German: Georg Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont; 6 May 1747 – 9 September 1813) was Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont from 1812 to 1813.
He was the son of Karl August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Christiane Henriette, Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken.
Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
The principality was divided 1805, Pyrmont was given to George, and his brother Friedrich Karl August stayed with Waldeck. In 1807, Waldeck joined the Confederation of the Rhine.
After the death of his brother in 1812, George took over the government in Waldeck.
Marriage and children
He married Princess Augusta of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen, daughter of August II, Prince of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen and Princess Christine of Anhalt-Bernburg, in Otterwisch on 12 September 1784. They had nine sons and four daughters:
- Princess Christiane of Waldeck and Pyrmont (23 March 1787 – 16 March 1806)
- Prince Karl of Waldeck and Pyrmont (7 July 1788 – 3 October 1795)
- George II (20 September 1789 – 15 May 1845), married Princess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, had issue
- Prince Friedrich of Waldeck and Pyrmont (3 November 1790 – 1 February 1828), married Countess Ursula Polle of Waldeck, had issue.
- Prince Christian of Waldeck and Pyrmont (19 June 1792 – 8 July 1795)
- Princess Augusta of Waldeck and Pyrmont (7 August 1793 – 29 April 1794)
- Prince Johann of Waldeck and Pyrmont (25 September 1794 – 8 October 1814)
- Princess Ida of Waldeck and Pyrmont (26 September 1796 – 12 April 1869), married George William, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe, had issue.
- Prince Wolrad of Waldeck and Pyrmont (23 April 1798 – 24 August 1821)
- Princess Mathilde of Waldeck and Pyrmont (10 Apr 1801 – 13 Apr 1825), married Duke Eugen of Württemberg, had issue.
- Prince Karl Christian of Waldeck and Pyrmont (12 April 1803 – 19 Jul 1846), married Countess Amalie of Lippe-Biesterfeld, had issue.
- Prince Karoline Christian of Waldeck and Pyrmont (17 November 1804 – 3 March 1806)
- Prince Hermann of Waldeck and Pyrmont (12 October 1809 – 6 October 1876), married Countess Agnes Teleki de Szék, no issue.
- C. Arnold McNaughton, The Book of Kings: A Royal Genealogy, in 3 volumes (London, U.K.: Garnstone Press, 1973), volume 1, page 232. Hereinafter cited as The Book of Kings.
|Ancestors of George I, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Georg, Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- thePeerage.com - Georg I Prinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- http://www.documentarchiv.de/nzjh/1807/rheinbund_akzessionsvertrag-waldeck.html (German)
- Karl Theodor Menke: Pyrmont und seine Umgebung. Hameln, Pyrmont, 1840, S.65
- L. Curtze: Geschichte und Beschreibung des Fürstentums Waldeck. Arolsen, 1850, S.619f.
George I, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
House of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Cadet branch of the House of WaldeckBorn: 6 May 1747 Died: 9 September 1813
|Preceded by |
Friedrich Karl August
|Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont |
24 September 1812 – 9 September 1813
|Succeeded by |