|Intro||Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt from 1567 to 1596|
|Birth||September 10, 1547 (Kassel, Kassel Government Region, Hesse, Germany)|
|Death||February 7, 1596 (Darmstadt, Darmstadt Government Region, Hesse, Germany)|
George I of Hesse-Darmstadt (10 September 1547-7 February 1596) was the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt from 1567 to 1596.
Born on 10 September 1547 in Kassel, he was the fourth son of Philip I the Magnanimous of Hesse and Christine of Saxony.
Following his father's death in 1567 Hesse was divided between his four sons. George I received the upper County of Katzenelnbogen and selected Darmstadt as his residence. He died on 7 February 1596 and the Landgraviate was passed to his son Louis.
On 17 August 1572, he married Magdalene of Lippe (1552–1587). They had 10 children.
- Philip William (1576-1576), Hereditary prince
- Louis V (1577–1626), Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
- married in 1598 princess Magdalene of Brandenburg (1582-1616)
- Christine (1578–1596)
- married in 1595 Count Frederick Magnus of Erbach (1575-1618)
- Elisabeth (1579–1655)
- married in 1601 Count John Casimir of Nassau-Weilburg-Gleiberg (1577-1602)
- Marie Hedwig (1580–1582)
- Philip III (1581–1643), Landgrave of Hesse-Butzbach
- married firstly, in 1610, Countess Anna Margarethe of Diepholz (1580-1629)
- married secondly, in 1632, Countess Christine Sophie of East Frisia (1600-1658)
- Anna (1583–1631)
- married in 1601 Count Albert Otto of Solms-Laubach (1576-1610)
- Frederick I (1585–1638), Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg
- married in 1622 Countess Margarethe of Leiningen-Westerburg (1604-1667)
- Magdalene (1586-1586)
- John (1587-1587)
On 25 May 1589, he married Eleonore of Württemberg (1552–1618). They had 1 child:
- Henry (1590-1601).
|Ancestors of George I, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|