|Intro||German novelist, and short story writer|
|Was||Writer Novelist Short story writer Screenwriter Film director|
|Type||Film, TV, Stage & Radio Literature|
|Birth||21 May 1932, Darmstadt, Germany|
|Death||22 June 2015, Darmstadt, Germany (aged 83 years)|
Gabriele Wohmann (née Guyot; May 21, 1932 – June 22, 2015) was a German novelist, and short story writer.
Wohmann was born in Darmstadt. She attended the Nordseepädagogium on the island Langeoog as a boarding school. She studied at Frankfurt am Main from 1951 to 1953. She then worked as a teacher at her former school to Langeoog, at a community college, and a business school. In 1953, she married Reiner Wohmann. She lived as a freelance writer in Darmstadt since 1956. Wohmann died on June 23, 2015, after struggling for a long time with serious illness in the place of her birth, Darmstadt.
Wohmann authored short stories, novels, poems, radio plays, television plays, and essays. She attended meetings of the Group 47. She was a member of the Berlin Academy of Arts since 1975, and the German Academy for Language and Literature in Darmstadt since 1980. She was a member of the PEN Centre of the Federal Republic of Germany from 1960 to 1988.
- Jetzt und Nie, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1958
- Abschied für länger, Walter, Olten/Freiburg im Breisgau, 1965
- Ernste Absicht, Luchterhand Verlag, Berlin/Neuwied, 1970
- Paulinchen war allein zu Haus, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1974
- Schönes Gehege, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1975
- Ausflug mit der Mutter, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1976
- Frühherbst in Badenweiler, Luchterhand, Darmstadt, 1978
- Ach wie gut daß niemand weiß, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1980
- Das Glücksspiel, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1981
- Der Flötenton, Luchterhand, Darmstadt/Neuwied, 1987
- Bitte nicht sterben, Piper, München, 1993
- Aber das war noch nicht das Schlimmste, Piper, München, 1995
- Das Handicap, Piper, München, 1996
- Das Hallenbad, Piper, München, 2000
- Abschied von der Schwester, Pendo, Zürich/München, 2001
- Schön und gut, Piper, München, 2002
- Hol mich einfach ab, Piper, München, 2003
Works in English
- Selected Translations of Gabriele Wohmann, Steven Walter Eau Claire, University of Iowa, 1984
- The cherry tree, Translator Jeanne Willson, Dimension, 1994, ISBN 978-0-911173-05-5
- Amos Leslie Willson, ed. (1996). "An Irresistible Man". Contemporary German fiction. Continuum International. ISBN 978-0-8264-0740-5.