Hans-Georg Friedrich "Fritz" Poske (23 October 1904 in Berlin-Schöneberg – 1 October 1984 in Wachtberg) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He also commanded the Aviso Grille, Adolf Hitler's state yacht.
Summary of career
As commander of U-504 Fritz Poske is credited with the sinking of 15 ships for a total of 78,123 gross register tons (GRT) and further damaging another ship of 7,176 GRT that it had to be considered a total loss.
|22 February 1942||Republic||United States||5,287||Sunk|
|23 February 1942||W.D. Anderson||United States||10,227||Sunk|
|26 February 1942||Mamura||Netherlands||8,245||Sunk|
|16 March 1942||Stangarth||United Kingdom||5,966||Sunk|
|29 May 1942||Allister||United Kingdom||1,597||Sunk|
|8 June 1942||Rosenborg||United Kingdom||1,512||Sunk|
|8 June 1942||Tela||Honduras||3,901||Sunk|
|11 June 1942||American||United States||4,846||Sunk|
|11 June 1942||Crijnssen||Netherlands||4,282||Sunk|
|14 June 1942||Regent||Latvia||3,280||Sunk|
|17 October 1942||Empire Chaucer||United Kingdom||5,970||Sunk|
|23 October 1942||City of Johannesburg||United Kingdom||5,669||Sunk|
|26 October 1942||Anne Hutchinson||United States||7,176||Total loss|
|31 October 1942||Empire Guidon||United Kingdom||7,041||Sunk|
|31 October 1942||Reynolds||United Kingdom||5,113||Sunk|
|3 November 1942||Porto Alegre||Brazil||5,187||Sunk|
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th and 3rd Class (2 October 1936)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (2 October 1939)
- 1st Class (3 April 1942)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (2 April 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 6 November 1942 as Korvettenkapitän and commander of U-504
- War Merit Cross
- 2nd Class with Swords (1 September 1944)
- 1st Class with Swords (30 January 1945)
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht on 21 March 1942
- Officer's Cross, Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (30 March 1963)
- Busch & Röll 2003, pp. 273–274.
- ^ Busch & Röll 2003, p. 274.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 343.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 275.