Friedrich Kirchner (26 March 1885 – 6 April 1960) was a German general during World War II who commanded 1st Panzer Division and the LVII Panzer Corps. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.
Friedrich Kirchner joined the Imperial German Army in 1899 and became an officer in 1907. During World War II he served with the 23d Division. After World War I he was retained in the Reichswehr. Kirchner was promoted to Major in 1928 and from 1929 he served in the staff of a cavalry division. Kirchner was promoted to Oberst in 1934 and appointed to command an infantry regiment in the 1st Panzer Division) on 15 October 1935 and commanding officer of an infantry brigade on 10 November 1938. He was promoted to Generalmajor in March 1938.
He participated in the invasion of Poland as a brigade commander; he was appointed command of the 1st Panzer Division in November 1939. On 1 April 1940 he was promoted to Generalleutnant. Kirchner led the division in the Battle of France and was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross on 20 May 1940. He then took command of the LVII Armeekorps on 15 November 1941 and remained in command of the unit (re-designated LVII Panzer Corps) until the end of World War II.
- Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class (1 October 1914) & 1st Class (26 September 1917)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (22 September 1939) &1st Class (4 October 1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 22 April 1942 as Generalleutnant and commander of the 1. Panzer-Division
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Knight's Cross on 20 May 1940 as Generalleutnant and commander of the 1. Panzer-Division
- 391st Oak Leaves on 12 February 1944 as General der Panzertruppe and commanding general of the LVII. Panzer-Korps
- 127th Swords on 26 January 1945 as General der Panzertruppe and commanding general of the LVII. Panzer-Korps
- Mentioned twice in the Wehrmachtsbericht (4 February 1943 and 27 November 1944)
- ^ Thomas 1997, p. 364.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 229.
- ^ Scherzer 2007, p. 442.