|Intro||German Grand Duke|
|A.K.A.||Friedrich Franz I von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Frédéric-François, Frédéric-François Ier, Frédéric-François, Grand Duc de Mecklembourg-Scbwerin|
|Birth||December 10, 1756 (Schwerin)|
|Death||February 1, 1837 (Ludwigslust)|
Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (10 December 1756 – 1 February 1837) ruled over the German state of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, first as Duke (1785–1815), and then as Grand Duke (1815–1837).
He was born in Schwerin, Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, to Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Friedrich Franz succeeded his uncle Friedrich as Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1785.
Following the Napoleonic Wars, Friedrich Franz was raised to the dignity of Grand Duke at the Congress of Vienna. Along with his cousin in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, he was known as one of the most reactionary German rulers. On his death in 1837 he was succeeded by his grandson, Grand Duke Paul Friedrich.
Marriage and children
On 1 June 1775 in Gotha, Friedrich Franz married Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg. They had eight children:
- Daughter (stillborn 7 May 1776), buried in the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai of Schwerin.
- Son (stillborn 11 May 1777), buried in the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai of Schwerin.
- Friedrich Ludwig (13 June 1778 – 29 November 1819). He married Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia, a daughter of Paul I of Russia and Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg. They were parents of Paul Friedrich, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Paul Friedrich's oldest son was Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1823–1883), who succeeded as Grand Duke in 1842. Friedrich Franz's youngest child was Heinrich (1876–1934), who married Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands in 1901. Heinrich, as Prince consort of the Netherlands, became known as Prins Hendrik. His oldest granddaughter is Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
- Louise Charlotte (19 November 1779 – 4 January 1801). Married Emil Leopold August, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg. They were parents to Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, mother of Prince Consort Albert, and hence ancestors of the British Royal Family.
- Gustav Wilhelm (31 January 1781 – 10 January 1851).
- Karl (2 July 1782 – 22 May 1833).
- Charlotte Frederica (4 December 1784 – 13 July 1840). Married Christian VIII of Denmark. They were parents to Frederick VII of Denmark.
- Adolf (18 December 1785 – 8 May 1821).