Brendan Angelides, better known by his stage names Eskmo and Welder, is an American electronic music producer and composer. He has released music on record labels such as Ninja Tune, Planet Mu, and Warp Records. In a 2010 review, rock music critic Robert Christgau credited Eskmo with "Just the kind of weird background music that's guaranteed to engross whenever you lend it both ears."
Angelides' self-titled album, Eskmo, was released on Ninja Tune in 2010. BBC Music said of the album "..Sufficient mind-melting invention here – prior reference points or otherwise – to render Eskmo a hotter property than that chilly moniker might immediately imply." He released the Language and "Terra" EPs on Ancestor in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
In 2015, his follow up album SOL, a concept album about the sun, was released on Apollo / R&S records. It featured the artwork of UK feather sculpture artist Kate MccGwire
Film / TV
Eskmo is the lead composer for the 2016 Showtime TV series "Billions" starring Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis. In 2015, he was brought on by Rob Simonsen (Foxcatcher, Way Way Back) to score an indie feature entitled "The Master Cleanse" starring Johnny Galecki and Anna Friel with Oliver Platt & Anjelica Huston.
In Sept 2015, Angelides announced a new project entitled FeelHarmonic. Its role being: "FeelHarmonic connects creatives, from a variety of fields, to collaborate on bringing the deaf community new ways to experience sound. It is the first community-based outreach program being launched under The Echo Society umbrella." In 48 hours, the Facebook announcement video for the project showing elementary school children experiencing the FeelHarmonic presentation attracted 55K views and over 900 shares.
The Echo Society
In December 2013, Angelides helped create a Los Angeles based collective called The Echo Society. Made up of composers, visual designers and engineers, the group has put on multiple events in various locations throughout Los Angeles featuring large orchestral ensembles mixed with electronic music. Other notable composers involved are Joseph Trapanese, Rob Simonsen, Jeremy Zuckerman, Benjamin Wynn, Nathan Johnson, and Judson Crane.
Angelides was raised in a small town in Connecticut, which is located on the East Coast of the United States. He has often spoken fondly, in retrospect, of growing up in a fairly rural environment as a sort of incubator that helped him focus on crafting his sound.
- Machines on Task (1999, self-released)
- Illuminate (2001, self-released)
- Ascension (2003, self-released)
- Vines and Streams (2006, Cyberset) as Welder
- Eskmo (2010, Ninja Tune)
- Florescence (2011, Ancestor) as Welder
- SOL (2015, Apollo)
- Bamboo Snow (2007) as Welder
- Chalice Well (2008) as Welder
- Purple & Orange (The Remixes) (2008) as Welder
- Cloudlight / Come Back (2010)
- We Got More / Moving Glowstream (2011, Ninja Tune)
- Language (2012)
- Terra (2013)
- "Cliffside" (2005)
- "Jetski" (2007)
- "Speaking in Tongues" (2007)
- "Hypercolor" (2009)
- "Agnus Dei" (2009)
- "Let Them Sing" (2009)
- "Land and Bones" (2010)
- Bar 9 - "Murda Sound (Eskmo Remix)" (2008)
- Bibio - "Dwrcan (Eskmo Remix)" from The Apple and the Tooth (2009)
- Spor - "Knock You Down (Eskmo Remix)" (2010)
- Amon Tobin - "Ruthless Reprise (Eskmo Remix)" from Chaos Theory Remixed: The Soundtrack to Splinter Cell 3D (2011)
- Hundred Waters - "Boreal (Eskmo Remix)" (2013)