|Intro||Princess of Bavaria-Landshut, by marriage, Princess of Brandenburg|
|Birth||January 1, 1383 (Trausnitz Castle, Landshut, Lower Bavaria, Bavaria)|
|Death||November 13, 1442 (Ansbach, Middle Franconia, Bavaria, Germany)|
Elisabeth of Bavaria-Landshut (1383 – 13 November 1442), nicknamed "Beautiful Beth", was an Electress of Brandenburg.
Elizabeth was a daughter of Duke Frederick "the Wise" of Bavaria-Landshut and his second wife Maddalena Visconti. On 18 September 1401 she married Frederick VI of Hohenzollern, Burgrave of Nuremberg, who was promoted to Elector of Brandenburg in 1415 and ruled as "Elector Frederick I". During her husband's long journeys to Italy, Hungary, and to the Council of Constance, she represented him wisely despite the great political problems Brandenburg was experiencing at the time.
She is the ancestress of the royal line of the House of Hohenzollern by her third son Albert III Achilles, Elector of Brandenburg.
With Frederick she had ten children:
- Elisabeth (1403–31 October 1449, Liegnitz), married:
- in Konstanz 1418 Duke Louis II of Brieg and Legnica (1380/5–1436);
- in 1438 Duke Wenzel I of Teschen (1413/18–1474).
- John "the Alchemist" (1406–1465), Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach.
- married in 1416 Princess Barbara of Saxe-Wittenberg (1405–1465)
- Cecilia (c. 1405–4 January 1449), married:
- in Berlin 30 May 1423 Duke William I of Brunswick-Lüneburg(1392–1482).
- Margaret (1410–27 July 1465, Landshut), married:
- in 1423 to Duke Albert V, Duke of Mecklenburg (1397–1423);
- in Ingolstadt 20 July 1441 to Louis VIII, Duke of Bavaria (1403–1445);
- in 1446 to Count Martin of Waldenfels (d. 1471).
- Magdalene (c. 1412 –27 October 1454, Scharnebeck), married:
- in Tangermünde 3 July 1429 to Duke Frederick of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1418–1478).
- Frederick II (1413–1471), Elector of Brandenburg
- married in 1446 Princess Catherine of Saxony (1421–1476)
- Albrecht Achilles, (1414–1486), Elector of Brandenburg, married:
- in 1446 Princess Margarete of Baden (1431–1457)
- in 1458 Princess Anna of Saxony (1437–1512)
- Sofie, born and died 1417.
- Dorothea (9 February 1420–19 January 1491, Rehna), married:
- in 1432 Duke Henry IV, Duke of Mecklenburg (1417–1477)
- Frederick "the Fat" (c. 1424–6 October 1463, Tangermünde), Lord of Altmark, married:
- in 1449 Princess Agnes of Pomerania (1436–1512)
Elisabeth of Bavaria, Electress of Brandenburg
House of WittelsbachBorn: 1383 Died: 13 November 1442
Barbara of Celje
|Electress consort of Brandenburg
30 April 1415 - 20 September 1440
Title next held byCatherine of Saxony
|Margravine of Brandenburg
18 April 1417 - 13 January 1426
Barbara of Saxe-Wittenberg
Elisabeth of Meissen
|Burgravine of Nuremberg
18 September 1401 - 1427
Titular title remained held
by Elector of Brandenburg
margraviate of Brandenburg-Ansbach created in 1398 upon the death of Frederick V, Burgrave of Nuremberg, whose sons divided his territories
|Margravine of Brandenburg-Ansbach
18 September 1401 - 20 September 1440
Title next held byMargaret of Baden
Margaret of Bohemia
|Margravine of Brandenburg-Kulmbach
11 June 1420 - 20 September 1440
Barbara of Saxe-Wittenberg