Eddie S. Glaude Jr., was born in Moss Point, Mississippi. He is the chair of the Center for African-American Studies and the William S. Tod Professor of Religion and African-American Studies at Princeton University.
Glaude is a 1989 graduate of Morehouse College where he was the Student Government President. He holds a master's degree in African-American studies from Temple University and a master's degree in religion from Princeton University.
Glaude earned his Ph.D. in religion from Princeton University and is a founding member and Senior Fellow of the Jamestown Project.
A noted scholar, Glaude began his teaching career at Bowdoin College where he served as chair of the Department of Religion. Dr. Glaude has received numerous awards including the Carl A. Fields Award, and was a Visiting Scholar in African-American Studies at Harvard University and Amherst College.
His first book, Exodus! Religion, Race, and Nation in Early 19th Century Black America, won the Modern Language Association's William Sanders Scarborough Book Prize.
Glaude has appeared on the Tavis Smiley Show, Fox TV’s Hannity & Colmes Show, CNN, and C-SPAN. Along with noted scholars, Dr. Cornel West and Michael Eric Dyson, he also appeared in the documentary, Stand, produced and directed by Tavis Smiley.
He is a contributor to the Huffington Post and is well known for being a regular contributor and panelist during the State of the Black Union. In 2007, Dr. Glaude delivered the Founder’s Day Convocation keynote address during the 140th anniversary of Morehouse College.
He and his wife, the former Winnifred Brown, have a son, Langston.
- Exodus!: Religion, Race, and Nation in Early Nineteenth-Century Black America. University of Chicago Press. 15 March 2000. ISBN 978-0-226-29820-7.
- Eddie S. Glaude, ed. (15 April 2002). Is It Nation Time?: Contemporary Essays on Black Power and Black Nationalism. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-29822-1.
- Cornel West; Eddie S. Glaude, eds. (2003). African American Religious Thought: An Anthology. Westminster John Knox Press. ISBN 978-0-664-22459-2.
- In a Shade of Blue: Pragmatism and the Politics of Black America (Large Print 16pt). ReadHowYouWant.com. 21 October 2010. pp. 307–. ISBN 978-1-4596-0613-5.
- African American Religion. Oxford University Press. 1 July 2014. ISBN 978-0-19-518289-7.
- Democracy in Black: How Race Still Enslaves the American Soul. Crown/Archetype. 12 January 2016. ISBN 978-0-8041-3742-3.