|A.K.A.||Christian Nikolaus Udo Peter|
|Birth||1 February 1955, Rastede, Ammerland, Lower Saxony, Germany|
Christian, Duke of Oldenburg (German: Christian Nikolaus Udo Peter Herzog von Oldenburg; born 1 February 1955) is the head of the Grand Ducal Family of Oldenburg.
Family and life
Christian was born in Rastede, Lower Saxony, the only son of Duke Anton-Günther of Oldenburg and his wife Princess Ameli of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg (b. 1923). Christian has an elder sister, Duchess Helene (b. 1953) who is unmarried. Christian has a diplom in Business.
Christian is a great-grandson of the last Grand Duke of Oldenburg to reign, Frederick Augustus II and through his mother he is related to the Princes of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, who belong to a morganatic branch of the House of Wittelsbach descending from Frederick I, Elector Palatine.
Christian became heir to the headship of the Grand Ducal family on 3 April 1970 when his grandfather Hereditary Grand Duke Nikolaus died. Under the monarchy the Grand Duke and the Hereditary Grand Duke and their wives were entitled to the style Royal Highness. First as heir to the headship of the House and now head of the House Christian bears this style.
Marriage and children
Christian married Countess Caroline zu Rantzau (b. 1962) at Pronstorf on 26 September 1987. They have four children:
- Duke Alexander Paul Hans-Caspar Andreas Daniel Carl Philippe of Oldenburg (born 17 March 1990 in Lübeck)
- Duke Philipp Konstantin Wittekind Raimund Clemens Hans-Heinrich of Oldenburg (born 28 December 1991 in Lübeck)
- Duke Anton Friedrich Ludwig Jan Vincent of Oldenburg (born 9 January 1993 in Lübeck)
- Duchess Katharina Bibiane Edwina Isabell of Oldenburg (born 20 February 1997 in Lübeck)
Titles and styles
- 1 February 1955 – 3 April 1970: His Highness Duke Christian of Oldenburg
- 3 April 1970 – 20 September 2014: His Royal Highness Duke Christian of Oldenburg
- 20 September 2014 – present: His Royal Highness The Duke of Oldenburg
|Ancestors of Christian, Duke of Oldenburg|