|Birth||May 19, 1903 (Oldenburg, Lower Saxony, Germany)|
|Death||June 16, 2001 (Bad Arolsen, Waldeck-Frankenberg, Kassel Government Region, Hesse)|
Duchess Altburg Marie Matilda Olga of Oldenburg (19 May 1903 – 16 June 2001) was a daughter of Frederick Augustus II, Grand Duke of Oldenburg by his second wife Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
In 1914, Altburg and her sister Ingeborg were nearly shot while riding in a motor car. They did not realize a bullet had been fired until they came to a stop and noticed it lodged in the upholstery. Although the person responsible is not known, it is believed that it was a stray bullet fired accidentally.
In 1918, their parents were dethroned as Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Oldenburg.
On 25 August 1922, Altburg married Josias, Hereditary Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont. He was the eldest son of Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Princess Bathildis of Schaumburg-Lippe. Like her own parents, Josias' parents had lost their titles at the end of World War I. They had five children:
- Princess Margarethe (22 May 1923 - 21 August 2003) married (1972) div. (1979) Count Franz August zu Erbach-Erbach (b. 1925)
- Princess Alexandra (25 September 1924) married (1949) Prince Botho of Bentheim und Steinfurt (1924–2001)
- Princess Ingrid (2 September 1931)
- Wittekind, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (9 March 1936) married (1988) Countess Cecilie of Goëss-Saurau (b. 1956)
- Princess Guda (22 August 1939) married (1958) div. (1972) Frederick William, Prince of Wied (1931–2001); married second (1968) Horst Dierkes (b. 1939)
Titles and styles
- 19 May 1903 – 25 August 1922: Her Highness Duchess Altburg of Oldenburg
- 25 August 1922 – 16 June 2001: Her Highness The Hereditary Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont
- Title in pretence: 26 May 1946 – 30 November 1967: Her Highness The Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont
|Ancestors of Duchess Altburg of Oldenburg|