Dorothea Röschmann (born 17 June 1967 in Flensburg) is a German operatic soprano.
Education and early life
Röschmann studied at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg, under Barbara Schlick at the Akademie für Alte Musik in Bremen, and subsequently in Los Angeles, New York, Tel Aviv, and under Vera Rózsa in London. She has been working as a Lieder and concert singer, both in Germany and abroad, since 1986. She gained international recognition in 1995 with her debut at the Salzburg Festival, where she sang the role of Susanna in Le nozze di Figaro, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt, and staged by Luc Bondy.
She was a member of the ensemble at the Berlin State Opera for many years, where she had great successes singing Micaela in Carmen, Susanna in Le nozze di Figaro, Zerlina and Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni, Pamina in The Magic Flute, Fiordiligi in Così fan tutte, Ännchen in Der Freischütz and many others.
She has appeared as Contessa d'Almaviva in Le nozze di Figaro at La Scala, Milan in March 2012, a role she previously also sang for the first time in 2004 at the Ravenna Festival and then in 2006 at the Royal Opera House (director: David McVicar; conductor: Antonio Pappano) and Salzburg (again with Harnoncourt conducting, and staged by Claus Guth).
On September 10, 2011, she took part in the performance of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 2, in a New York Philharmonic concert at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center. The free concert, presented to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack on New York City, was conducted by Alan Gilbert and telecast on PBS on that anniversary.
Awards and honours
- Echo Klassik 2003 with Ian Bostridge for the best Lied recording (The Songs of Robert Schumann, Hyperion Records)
- Grammy Award 2002 for the Best Choral Performance with the Vienna Boys' Choir, the Concentus Musicus Wien and the Arnold Schoenberg Choir (Bach: St Matthew Passion, Teldec)
- Berliner Kammersängerin awarded by the Senate
- Grammy Award 2017 for the Best Classical Solo Vocal Album (Schuman & Berg, accompanied by Mitsuko Uchida, Decca)
- Richard Wigmore: "Röschmann, Dorothea." in Grove Music Online (subscription required)
- Tim Ashley, "The whole truth", The Guardian, January 24, 2003 (profile and interview)
- Anne Midgette, "Lieder Spun From Character and Sung in Dramatic Shades", The New York Times, October 16, 2006 (review of Röschmann's 2006 recital at Carnegie Hall)
- Anne Midgette, "Keep Your Eye on the German Wing", Opera News, May 2000
- Discography on Naxos Records
- Discography on Harmonia Mundi
- Steve Smith, "Of Goethe’s Land, Romantic and Full-Throated," The New York Times, January 24, 2013 (review of Röschmann's 2013 recital at Carnegie Hall)