Dirk van den Berg (born May 10, 1966 in Düsseldorf) is a German film director and producer with international experience, known for creative documentaries about urgent issues in the Middle East and Africa.
For almost 25 years, Dirk lived in Rome, Italy where he graduated at the National Academy of Film and Drama, and at Rome University in Media Sciences. Connecting music and drama, he worked as an opera director, started directing and writing feature films, television and documentaries. At the same time, he participated in a growing number of international films as a line-, associate- and executive producer.
Dirk is a director, writer and producer with vast international creative experience and a long track record as a producer of complex projects in difficult territories. After many years in feature film, Dirk recently focuses on factual film. He holds classes on film direction and production, writes articles and is appointed to juries of several film festivals.
Since 2010, Dirk channeled his international experience into establishing OutreMer Film, first together with seasoned German producer Herbert Gehr, then from 2014 with Henrik Sauer (BVK), his long time director of photography. "OutreMer" is an ancient word for things that are beyond - figuratively and literally. From its bases in Berlin and Hamburg, the company creates films in Africa, the Middle East, the Maghreb and Central Asia, focusing on documentaries with urgent issues and hand-picked feature films with unique subjects.
- Untitled 1979 Project (2016), director & coproducer
- Jamming Addis (2013), director & producer
- The Last Princess of Mir (2012), director & coproducer
- My Daughter Anne Frank (2014), line producer, director: Raymond Ley
- The Great War Diary (2013), creative producer, 4/8x52' internationally co-produced series
- Seams of Desire (2011), producer, director: Alan Smithee
- Generation 9/11 (2010), associate producer; director: Nigel Noble
- Separation City (2009), line producer; director: Paul Middleditch
- I, Don Giovanni (2008), line producer, music coordinator; director: Carlos Saura
- Steel Trap (2007), producer; director: Luis Camara
- The Holy Family (2006), line producer Jordan; director: Raffaele Mertes
- The Grooming (2005), line producer; director: John Irvin
- Le Fugitif (2004), line producer France; director: Andrea Manni
- The Lives of the Saints (2004), action director; director: Jerry Ciccoriti
- The Prey (2005), line producer; director: Curtis Radclyffe
- Access Denied (TV) (2000); director: Dirk van den Berg
- Mort Programmé (2000), action director; director: Hajo Gies
- Il Cielo sotto il Deserto (1998) line producer; director: Alberto Negrin
- Russian Times (TV) (1993); director and co-writer: Dirk van den Berg
- 1993 Best European Screenplay for the Script "OutreMer"