Dietrich Schöneboom (9 December 1917 – 21 October 1943) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Summary of career
During his command of U-431 Schöneboom sank four merchant ships for 265 GRT and damaged one further ships so severely that it was a total loss of 6,415 GRT.
|23 January 1943||Alexandria||Egypt||100||Sunk|
|25 January 1943||Mouyassar||Syria||47||Sunk|
|25 January 1943||Omar el Kattab||Syria||38||Sunk|
|26 January 1943||Hassan||Syria||80||Sunk|
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (July 1940)
- 1st Class (1 August 1941)
- Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände (September 1940)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (12 February 1943)
- Medaglia di bronzo al Valore Militare (10 August 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 20 October 1943 as Oberleutnant zur See and commander of U-431
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U-431". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- ^ Busch & Röll 2003, p. 389.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 386.