Debashis Chatterjee (born 5 September 1964) is an Indian academic, author, columnist and management professor, who is currently serving his second term (starting 2018) as the Director of Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K).
Chatterjee first served as the Director of IIM-K from 2009 to 2014. IIM-K was the first institute to appoint its own director autonomously after the President Ram Nath Kovind gave assent to the Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017, on 31 December 2017. The position had been vacant during the period 2014–2018.
Chatterjee has over two decades of experience in teaching. He taught leadership courses at various schools including Harvard University, Saïd Business School of the University of Oxford, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, and IIM Kozhikode. He served as Dean (International Relations) at IIM Lucknow. He also served as the Dean for the Leadership Centre, S P Jain School of Global_Management, Singapore. He served as the Director General of International Management Institute of the three campuses at New Delhi, Kolkata and Bhubaneswar.
Chatterjee has authored 17 books in various languages.
Early life and education
Debashis Chatterjee was born on 5 September 1964 in Bardhaman, West Bengal, India, as the eldest of two brothers. His father Narayandas Chatterjee was a Civil Engineer and mother Karoona Chatterjee was a housewife. In his growing years he was greatly influenced by the culture of Bengal and had a passion for creative writing.
Chatterjee completed a master's degree from Jawaharlal Nehru University in 1987. He was an ACC Research Fellow, Management Center for Human Values in IIM Kolkata from 1993 to 1996. He has a PhD in Management awarded by University of Pune for his research work in the Management Centre for Human Values. He was awarded the Fulbright Fellowship twice : once for pre-doctoral (1994–1995) and a second time for post-doctoral (2000–2001) work at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- Director of Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode 2009-2014 and 2018 to present.
- The Yale University – IIM Kozhikode Centre for Excellence in Academic Leadership (CEEAL) as part of the Singh-Obama initiative was set up during his tenure as IIM-K Director.
- The first Indian Business Museum with contributions from top 100 Indian business houses and public institutions such as ISRO and RBI was set up during his tenure as IIM-K Director.
- Conceptualizing and Executing the 2nd PAN IIM World Conference in 2014
- Conceptualizing and organizing the International Conclave on 'Globalizing Indian Thought' in January 2020. The three-day academic conclave was inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi through videoconferencing . The Conclave witnessed representations from renowned academicians, public figures and the presentation of more than 100 world-class research papers.
Awards and other recognition
Chatterjee was awarded the CSR Leading Director Award (2010–2014), the Rotary Sake of Honor Award (2013), Outstanding Director Award, All India Management Scholars (2013), CSR Eminent Directors of Leading Institutes Award-2012 and KCCI (NR) Award for Excellence- Excellent Performer in Academic Level.
Chatterjee has contributed editorial articles to The Economic Times, The Times of India, Business Standard and the New Indian Express