|Intro||Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg|
|Birth||1 January 1762, Langenburg, Schwäbisch Hall, Stuttgart Government Region, Baden-Württemberg|
|Death||1 January 1825, Langenburg, Schwäbisch Hall, Stuttgart Government Region, Baden-Württemberg (aged 63 years)|
Karl Ludwig, 3rd Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (10 September 1762, Langenburg – 4 April 1825, Langenburg) was the third Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg. He was the first child of Prince Christian Albert of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and his wife, Princess Caroline of Stolberg-Gedern.
He was an avid musician. From 1815 to 1825, he held a seat in the Estates Assembly and since 1820 the First Chamber of the reorganized Estates, but after 1819, he let himself be represented by his son Ernst.
Marriage and descendants
On 30 January 1789 at Kliczków Castle, he married Countess Amalie Henriette of Solms-Baruth (1768–1847), daughter of Count John Christian II of Solms-Baruth.
The marriage produced the following thirteen children:
- Princess Louise of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
- Princess Elisabeth of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1790-1830); married Victor Amadeus, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg, Duke of Ratibór
- Princess Constance of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1792-1847); married Franz Joseph, 5th Prince of Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst
- Princess Emilie of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1793-1859); married Count Friedrich Ludwig of Castell-Castell; their daughter married Julius, Count of Lippe-Biesterfeld and had issue
- Prince Ernst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1794–1860); married in 1828 Princess Feodora of Leiningen (1807-1872)
- Prince Frederick of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
- Princess Marie Henriette of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
- Princess Louise of Hohenlohe-Langenburg; married Prince Adolf zu Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen
- Princess Johanna of Hohenlohe-Langenburg; married Count Emil Christian of Erbach-Schönberg
- Princess Mary Agnes of Hohenlohe-Langenburg; married Konstantin, Hereditary Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
- Prince Henry Gustav of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
- Princess Helene of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1807-1880); married Duke Eugen of Württemberg
- Prince Henry of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
The marriages of his children and grandchildren made him an ancestor of some of the leading ruling houses of Europe:
- Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein is the great-grandson of Infanta Marie Therese of Portugal, whose mother, Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, was Charles Louis's granddaughter.
- Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg is also a descendant of Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg through her daughter, Infanta Marie Anne of Portugal.
- King Philippe of Belgium is also a descendant of Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg through her daughter, Infanta Marie Jose of Portugal, mother of Elisabeth of Bavaria, Queen of Belgium.
- Queen Sofía of Spain, mother of King Felipe VI of Spain, and Constantine II of Greece are children of Frederica of Hanover, whose grandmother, Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein, was a granddaughter of Charles Louis's son, Ernst I, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
- King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden is a son of Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the great-great-granddaughter of Charles Louis's son, Ernst I.
- King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is a grandson of Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, a great-great-grandson of Charles Louis's daughter, Emilie.