Boediono (EYD: Budiono, pronounced [budiˈjono] ( listen); born 25 February 1943) is an Indonesian economist. He was the Vice President of Indonesia from 2009 to 2014. He became Vice President after winning the 2009 presidential election together with the then-incumbent President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
Boediono received his early education in primary school in Blitar, East Java. In the early 1960s he began university studies at Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta before winning a scholarship to study at the University of Western Australia in Perth. In 1967 he graduated from the University of Western Australia with an economics degree and continued his studies for a master's degree in economics at Monash University in Melbourne which he completed in 1972. Later, he undertook further studies towards his doctorate degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania which he completed in 1979. He also worked in the Indonesia Project at the Australian National University in the early 1970s as a research assistant in economics.
Boediono was listed as one of the Wharton School's 125 Influential People and Ideas in 2007 and was dubbed "Indonesia's financial rudder".
Boediono was a Bank of Indonesia deputy governor in charge of fiscal monetary policy from 1997 to 1998 and served as State Minister of National Planning and Development from 1998 to October 1999.
Following the removal of Abdurrahman Wahid from the presidency in 2001, President Megawati Sukarnoputri appointed Boediono as Minister of Finance in her new administration. Under his leadership, the economy grew by 4% in 2002.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono appointed Boediono as Coordinating Minister for the Economy during his first cabinet reshuffle in 2005, replacing Aburizal Bakrie. Bakrie had come under suspicion for having conflicts of interest. In 2008, a commission of the People's Representative Council elected Boediono Governor of the Indonesian central bank, Bank Indonesia. After he was selected by Yudhoyono as a running mate in the 2009 presidential election, Boediono submitted his resignation from the central bank post.
Boediono is also a professor of economics at Gadjah Mada University where he has taught various courses on macroeconomics and monetary policy since the early 1970s.
Publications and papers
Since his appointment as a staff member in the Faculty of Economics, Gadjah Mada University, in the early 1970s, Boediono has lectured and published widely on topics relating to contemporary issues of economic policy in Indonesia. His publications include the following.
- Boediono. 2009. Ekonomi Indonesia, mau ke mana? Kumpulan esai ekonomi (The economy of Indonesia, Where to? A collection of economic essays), PT Gramedia, Jakarta. ISBN 978-979-9101-89-1
- Boediono. 2007. 'Primus Inter Pares', Chapter 11 in Moh. Arsjad Anwar, Aris Ananta, Ari Kuncoro (eds), Kesan Para Sahabat tentang Widjojo Nitisastro (Testimonials of Friends about Widjojo Nitisastro), Penerbit Buku Kompas, Jakarta.
- Boediono, 2005. 'Professor Mubyarto, 1938–2005', Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 41 (2).
- Boediono. 2005. 'Managing the Indonesian economy: some lessons from the past', Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 41 (3).
- Boediono. 2004. 'Kebijakan fiskal: sekarang dan selanjutnya' (Fiscal policy: now and in the future), in Subiyantoro, Heru and Riphat Singgih (eds), Kebijakan fiskal (Fiscal policy), Penerbit Buku Kompas, Jakarta.
- Boediono. 2002. 'The IMF support program in Indonesia: comparing its implementation under three presidents', Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 38 (3).
- Boediono. 1999. 'Addressing the social impacts', speech delivered to the meeting on Development cooperation: responding to the Asian crisis', Sydney, 5 March.
- Boediono and T. Kaneko. 1998. 'Price changes', in S. Ichimura (ed.), Indonesian economic development: Issues and analysis, Japanese International Cooperation Agency, Tokyo.
- Boediono. 1990. 'Fiscal policy in Indonesia'. Paper presented to the second convention of the East Asian Economic Association, Bandung.
- Boediono and Mari Pangestu (1986). 'The structure and causes of manufacturing sector protection in Indonesia', in Christopher Findlay and Ross Garnaut (eds.), The political economy of manufacturing protection: experience of ASEAN and Australia, Allen and Unwin, Australia.
- Boediono. 1985. 'Demand for Money in Indonesia, 1975 - 1984', Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 21 (2).
- Boediono. 1974. 'An economic survey of D.I Aceh',Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 10 (2).
- Boediono. 1972. 'An economic survey of North Sulawesi', Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 8 (3).