|Birth||5 August 1940 (Chittagong)|
Anupam Sen (born August 5, 1940) is a Bangladeshi academic and social scientist. He is currently serving as Vice-chancellor of Premier University, Chittagong. He was awarded Ekushey Padak in 2014 by the Government of Bangladesh.
Anupam Sen was born on August 5, 1940 at Chittagong city in Bangladesh. He was born at a village of Boalkhali named Dholghat, which was a part of Patiya Upazila then. His father is late Birendrolal Sen, a lawyer, and mother Sneholota Sen.He completed his graduation and post graduation on English literature in the time of British Regime.
After few days of his birth, Second World War began. Japanese army captured some parts of Southeast Asian and Burma. They threw bomb in different parts of Chittagong. In order to survive from the Japanese aggression, Anupam's family went back to their village. He spent some years of his childhood in the village. His family came back to the city after the war broke up. When he was eight, his father died and from then he lived with his mother.
In 1966, Anupam Sen married to Uma Sengupta. Uma Sengupta is a housewife. They have only one daughter, Indrani Sen Guh.
Though Anupam born in Chittagong, he started his education life at his village, Dholghat. He continued his education in Dholghat English High School till grade two. In 1947, he was admitted to the third grade of Chittagong Collegiate School. Due to sectarian violence in Chittagong his mother sent him to his maternal uncle along with his sister in 1950. He was admitted to Saint Cathedral Missionary School and continued his study. When the situation of Chittagong became stable, he came back to Chittagong and admitted to Chittagong Municipal Model High School. From this school he passed matriculation in 1956.
After completing his matriculation, he admitted to Chittagong College. He admitted to University of Dhaka after completing I.A. He completed his graduation on Sociology in 1962 and post graduation in 1963. For more higher education, he admitted to McMaster University of Canada in 1973. He then earned another M.A. in 1975 and a Ph.D. in 1979 degree from McMaster University in Canada. His Ph.D Dissertation on political economy and economic development entitled The State, Industrialization and Class Formations in India was published by Routledge and Kegan-Paul,London in 1982.The book has received wide appreciation from academics and scholars worldwide.It has been reviewed in many international journals including "'World Development'and The Journal of Development Studies". It has also been included as a reference book on many courses in Development Studies, Political science and other Social Sciences in universities of Europe and North America.
In 1965, Anupam started his career at the age of 25. In March 1965, he appointed as a lecturer of Sociology and political science in East Pakistan University of Engineering and Technology (Present Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology or BUET). In 1966, he joined as a lecturer of the department of Sociology of University of Dhaka and in 1969, he joined as an assistant professor of the department of Sociology of University of Chittagong. From September 1973 to April 1979 he served as a teacher assistant (T.A.) and tutor in McMaster University. Canada. He came back in 1979 and joined c. He worked as an associate Professor in University of Chittagong from June 1984 to September 2006. On October 1, 2006 he took the chair of Vice Chancellor of Chittagong Premier University and till now he is in chair.
- Ekushey Padak, an award given by the State, for his contribution to education (2014)
- University Grant Commission Award (2007)
- Group Theater Federation Award. (2006)
- Rahe Bhander Ennoble Award. (2016)
- United Nations Day Award. (2002)
- Udichi Shilpi Gosthi Award.(1995)
- Jahanara Imam Memorial Award.(2010)
- Ekushey Mela Porishod, Chittagong Ekushey Padak. (2007)
- একুশে পদক ২০১৪ পেলেন যারা. Nabaraj (in Bangla). Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- একুশে পদক পাচ্ছেন কামাল লোহানীসহ ১৫ জন. Jugantor (in Bangla). 8 February 2015.
- ^ একুশে পদক পাচ্ছেন ১৫ বিশিষ্ট নাগরিক [15 eminent citizens are awarded]. joyparajoy.com (in Bangla). 11 February 2014.
- "13th Universal Sufi Fest held". The Daily Observer. Dhaka. p. 11.
- রাহে ভান্ডারের ১৩ তম মহাত্মা সম্মেলনে বক্তারা. Daily Azadi (in Bangla).
- সম্মাননা [Honours]. Prothom Alo (in Bangla). Retrieved 22 March 2016.
Published books and research
- The Social Background of the Bangladesh Movement, Quest(Bombay),September–October,1971.
- The Bureaucracy and Socio-Economic Development in Bangladesh,Bangladesh Journal of Sociology,August 1983.
- Social Change in South Asia, Presidential Address,Third National Conference and International Seminar on Social Change in South Asia,Dhaka: Bangladesh Sociology Association,March 18–20, 1987.
- Modes of Production and Social Formation in India, 2nd article of the book entitled, "Class,State and Development in India" Edited by Berch Berberoglu(Professor,University of Nevada, U.S.A) New Delhi /London - Sage Publications,1992.
- The State, Industrialization and Class Formations in India,London : Routledge and Kegan-Paul, 1982.
- Bangladesh :Rashtra O Samaj, Dhaka :Abosar,1999
- Bangladesh O Bangali, Dhaka :Abosar,2002
- Biloshita Sabdaguchcha (An Anthology of Translated Verses of Eminent Poets from East & West),Dhaka :Abosar,2002
- The Political Economy of Bangladesh (work in progress).
Relation With Organization
- General Secretary,Chittagong University Teachers' Association, January 1971 to March 1972.
- President, Chittagong University Teachers' Association, January 1985 to December 1986.
- President, Federation of Bangladesh University Teachers' Association,February 1985 to March 1986.
- President, Bangladesh Sociology Association,1987-1992.
- Senior Fellow(Honorary),Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies(BIDS),
- Director,Board of Directors,Institute of Bangladesh Studies, Rajshahi University,Rajshahi;
- Director,Board of Directors,Bangladesh Bank, Dhaka(Central Bank of Bangladesh)
- Member,Academic Council, Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet.
- Member, Academic Council, East West University, Dhaka.
- Life Member, Bangiya Sahitya Parishad,Calcutta.
- Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences,University of Chittagong,Chittagong.
- ^ "relation with different organization". Premier University.
D. Sen is reading the Prophet's Day Leaflet
D. Sen among the faculties of Premier University, Chittagong
Ekushe Padak 2014 program with Sheikh Hasina
D. Sen delivering speech in a program organized by Premier University, Chittagong
D. Sen in Prophet's Day
D. Sen with Prime minister Sheikh Hasina