Anu Realo is Professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Warwick, the United Kingdom. In 2018 she was elected a member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
Education and career
She received her doctoral degree in psychology with highest honours (summa cum laude) from the University of Tartu in 1999. After completing her doctoral studies, she worked for two years as a post-doctoral research fellow at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. Upon return to Estonia, she worked as Associate Professor and Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Psychology, University of Tartu for about 10 years. In 2012, she was awarded a prestigious Academy Research Professor position by the Estonian Academy Sciences for the period 2013-2015. In 2014-2019, she held a position of Professor of Personality and Social Psychology at the University of Tartu. In addition to those positions, she has been a Fellow-in-Residence at two institutes for advanced study: at the Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study in Uppsala and at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study.
Anu Realo's background is in personality and cross-cultural psychology and she has conducted considerable research on the fundamental nature of personality traits, the definition and conceptualization of subjective well-being, and on the nature of cultural characteristics, such as individualism-collectivism, social capital, and tightness-looseness. The focus of her recent academic work has been examining the genetics of personality traits, as well as the complex relationships among personality, health, and subjective wellbeing. Much of her research has been carried out through collaborative efforts with colleagues from many different universities all over the world. In total, she has published approximately 150 papers or book chapters, mostly in high quality peer-reviewed international journals. For several years, she was among the world's top 1% most highly cited researchers in psychology.
Other professional activities
In addition to research and teaching, she has had numerous administrative and professional responsibilities. During the years 2012-2015, she served as the Vice-Chair of the Evaluation Board of the Estonian Research Council. For more than ten years, she was actively involved in the European Social Survey (ESS) – first as a Board Member of the National Committee for the ESS, and later as a country representative in the ESS Scientific Advisory Board and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the ESS ERIC (2013-2019). Among other duties, she served as an action editor for the Journal of Individual Differences from 2009 to 2013 and was one of the Associate Editors of the European Journal of Personality (2013-2016). Since 2012, she is the Principal Investigator for the World Values Survey in Estonia. In 2018, she was elected to the Presidency of the European Association for Personality Psychology.
Honours and awards
In 2010, Anu Realo was awarded the distinguished National Science Award of the Republic of Estonia in social sciences for her studies on personality and stereotypes from a cross-cultural perspective. In February 2016, she was awarded the Order of the White Star (IV Class) by the President of Estonia for outstanding contribution to the Estonian state, which is primarily a testament to her academic achievements. She is a member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. She was listed among the top 12 most outstanding Estonian women in the world 2016 by Estonian World.
Recent media appearances and newspaper articles
- "Kas Eesti jääb püsima kahes paralleelmaailmas elades?" Postimees, 3 June 2017
- “Kas kriitika MTÜ Ühiskonnauuringute Instituudi aadressil on «alati õigustatud» või on «tõde kusagil vahepeal»” Postimees, 3 April 2017
- "Eesti ühiskonnas näib olevat suur vajadus korra järele" Eesti Päevaleht, 9 May 2016
- "Kes on õige eestlane?" Postimees, 2 April 2016
- "Isiksusepsühholoog rändest: häbimärgistamine Eestit edasi ei vii." ERR Novaator, 30 March 2016
- "Kes on õige eestlane?" ERR Aktuaalne Kaamera, 30 March 2016
- "Kes on õige eestlane?" ERR Vikerraadio, 30 March 2016
- "Eestlaste hoiakud peegeldavad meie asukohta ida ja lääne vahel ning põhjamaade serval." Postimees, 23 February 2016
- "Need on meie inimesed, keda uurime." Postimees, 4 February 2016
- "Tippteadlane Anu Realo: olen tippu jõudmiseks 10 000 tundi tööd teinud." ERR Novaator, 22 July 2015
- "Tajutud diskrimineerimine ohustab eluga rahulolu." Postimees, 26 March 2015
- "Millisesse väärtusilma soovime kuuluda?" Postimees, 7 October 2014