|Intro||Indian music director and singer|
|A.K.A.||Anwar Sardar Malik|
|Is||Film director Singer Musician Composer Music director Film score composer|
|Type||Film, TV, Stage & Radio Music|
|Birth||2 November 1960, Mumbai, India|
Anwar Sardar Malik (born 2 November 1960), best known as Anu Malik, is an Indian music director and singer. He is an Indian National Award and Filmfare Award winning music director, who primarily composes music for the Hindi film industry. Known as one of the mega music composers of 90s in India, he is the son of Sardar Malik who belongs to the Kapurthala Gharana from where the Malik family also originate. Anu Malik made his debut as a music composer in 1980 with the film Hunterwali 77. He is also the only Music Director in Bollywood to win Filmfare Special Award(For the movie Refugee).
As a music director, he has composed music for various genres of films, and has created several commercially successful songs for the Hindi (Bollywood) film music industry. Malik is known for the use of the tabla in his songs, including "Taal Pe Jab"' and "Mere Humsafar" from the film Refugee, "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" from Main Hoon Na, "Eli Re Eli" from Yaadein and "Baazigar O Baazigar" from the film Baazigar.
In 1993, Malik created the songs for Mahesh Bhatt’s Sir and Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee, along with music for Baazigar, Main Khiladi Tu Anari (1994) and Akele Hum Akele Tum (1995). Later, his music for Virasat (1997) and Border (1997) and his songs for Indra Kumar's Ishq (1997) were commercially successful. This was followed by the music for Jaanam Samjha Karo (1999), Baadshah (1999), Josh (2000), Refugee (2000), Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega (2000) and Fiza (2000).
In 2001, Malik gave music in the films like Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai, Aks, Ajnabee, Yaadein and Aśoka. In 2004, he composed the music for Main Hoon Na (2004), Fida (2004) and Murder (2004). His recent work includes music for Kambakkht Ishq, Shootout at Wadala, Yamla Pagla Deewana and Dum Laga Ke Haisha.
Malik is a judge on Indian Idol from its first season in 2004 until 2018 when he left after sexual harassment allegations. He returned as a judge in 2019 but left again after three weeks due to media response.
Malik and Alisha Chinai jointly composed the commercially successful singles "Sexy Sexy" and "Ruk Ruk Ruk" from Vijaypath, "Chot Dil Pe Lagi" from Ishq Vishk and the songs from Love Story 2050.
His collaborations with Indian film lyricist Javed Akhtar have included songs from Border in 1997, Refugee in 2000, LOC Kargil in 2003, and Umrao Jaan in 2006.
Malik has worked with Indian playback singers including Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhonsle, Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Abhijeet, Amit Kumar, Sonu Nigam, Zubeen Garg, Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Poornima, Anuradha Paudwal, Sadhana Sargam, K. S. Chitra, Vinod Rathod, Shaan, KK, Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan, Monali Thakur, Papon and others. During the '80s, he mostly worked with singers such as Mohammad Aziz, Shabbir Kumar, Manhar Udhas, Suresh Wadkar, Nitin Mukesh and Anwar.
Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik sang in most of the singles composed by Malik. This trio collaborated on films such as Sir, Phool Aur Angaar, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Vijaypath, Baazigar, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Imtihaan, Chamatkar, Gambler, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Duplicate, Kareeb, Soldier, Aarzoo, Ishq Vishk and Fida. Sanu and Yagnik were regular singers for Anu Malik and Malik created many songs individually with Sanu such as "Aaine Ke Sau Tukde" from Maa (1991) and the single "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" from Baazigar (1993) (Malik sang the rap part of the song) among others. It was Sanu's first Western song.
Malik collaborated with Udit Narayan in Mr. and Mrs. Khiladi, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Ram Jaane, Diljale, Himalay Putra, Ishq, Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain, Refugee, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Fiza, Badal, Saaya and with Abhijeet in Baadshah, Asoka, Josh, Daraar and many others.
He has worked with Indian singer and fellow Indian Idol judge Sonu Nigam, who sang in the song "Ke Ghar Kab Aaoge from the film Border in 1997. The two have since continued to collaborate, with Malik providing Nigam songs including "Main Hoon Na" and "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" from the film Main Hoon Na, for which the singer received several awards. They also collaborated on music for films such as Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo, Border, Fiza, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Jaan-E-Mann, LOC: Kargil, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Refugee.
In the 2006 film Umrao Jaan, Malik launched his daughter Anmol Malik's singing career with the song "Bitiya Na Kijo."
Malik's song "Chamma Chamma" from China Gate was also used in the U.S. (Hollywood) film Moulin Rouge! starring Nicole Kidman. "Chunari Chunari" from Biwi No.1 was also used in the film Monsoon Wedding.
Following the death of music director R. D. Burman, Malik has completed music for Burman's unfinished film projects Gang and Ghatak.
Malik remained one of the judges on the TV show Indian Idol throughout each season till it ended. In the first two seasons, he was accompanied by Sonu Nigam and Farah Khan, and in the third by Alisha Chinai, Udit Narayan and Javed Akhtar. He was a judge in the first Asian Idol held in Indonesia, representing Indian Idol. He appeared on Indian Idol 4 with Sonali Bendre, Kailash Kher and Javed Akhtar. After that, he appeared as a judge with Sunidhi Chauhan and Salim Merchant in Indian Idol 5.
Farah Khan and Malik were the judges for Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega, a variety entertainment reality show that airs on Sony Entertainment Television (India) on weekdays.
Malik was the only judge from India on Asian Idol, who represented Indian Idol winner Abhijeet Sawant, with other judges Indra Lesmana, Paul Moss, Pilita Corrales, Ken Lim and Siu Black. Malik had been judging the television show Indian Idol since its inception until October 2018 when he left the show following allegations of sexual harassment. Malik returned as a judge in 2019 for the 11th season.
Although he is not a mainstream singer, Malik does playback singing for his compositions. Written off as a singer in his early days ("Julie Julie," for instance), he continues to sing his own compositions, with songs such as "Ek Garam Chaye ki Pyali" from the movie Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, "Gori Gori" in Main Hoon Na or the recent "Meri Jane Jigar" in Deewane Huye Paagal. Among his works are "Oonchi Hai Building" and "East or West India is the best" from the movie Judwaa. and the rap part of "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" of Baazigar.
While he sings entire songs for some movies, especially those starring Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar and Shahid Kapoor (in Deewane Huye Paagal he sang almost every song), and has also sung as part of a chorus in "Mehbooba Mehbooba" in the film Ajnabee, and "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" for Main Hoon Na.
His albums include Dekho Barish Ho Rahi Hai, Tera Chehra, Dhua Dhua and an English album, Eyes.
Malik is married to Anju. They have two children.
Pakistani Qawwali musician Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan has claimed that Anu Malik has copied some of his songs, including "Mera Piya Ghar Aaya" in Yaarana (1995) which was allegedly identical to Khan's song of the same name. Khan was reportedly tolerant towards Malik and other Bollywood music directors plagiarising his songs. . In his defense, Malik claimed that he loved Khan's music and was actually showing admiration by using his tunes.
In October 2018, in the wake of MeToo movement in India, Anu Malik was accused of sexual harassment by some women in separate claims. One accusation came from singer Shweta Pandit, who said Malik had made an unwanted sexual pass at her when she was 15 years old. Lyricist Sameer came out in support of Anu Malik, saying that he was present during the audition where the harassment of Pandit was claimed to have happened. Sona Mohapatra accused Anu Malik of predatory behaviour. Malik denied the allegations, but the public backlash resulted in him leaving as a judge for Indian Idol. Sonu Nigam came out in support of Anu Malik, saying that the allegations have been made without giving any proof. Malik returned as a judge in season 11, but in the wake of serious social media backlash, Malik again stepped down, citing that he decided to take a break as he was unable to focus on his work on the show. On 17th January, 2020, National Commission for Women closed MeToo case on Anu Malik due to lack of substantial evidence, after which Anu Malik decided to take legal action against the accusers.
Awards and nominations
Malik was awarded a Silver Lotus for J.P. Dutta's Refugee and the Filmfare Special Jury Award. He also won the Filmfare Best Music Director Award for Main Hoon Na and Baazigar.
He is a seven-time winner from 42 nominations for best music director, including 14 nominations for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director.
National Film Award
|2001||Refugee||Best Music Direction||Won|
- Filmfare Awards
- 1994 – Winner, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Baazigar
- 2001 – Winner, Filmfare Special Award – Refugee
- 2005 – Winner, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Main Hoon Na
- 1985 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Sohni Mahiwal (1984)
- 1995 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Main Khiladi Tu Anari
- 1996 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Virasat (1997 film)
- 1998 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Border
- 1999 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Soldier
- 2000 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Biwi No.1
- 2000 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2001 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Josh
- 2001 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Fiza
- 2002 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2002 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Aśoka (2001 film)
- 2004 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – LOC: Kargil
- 2005 – Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award – Murder
- Zee Cine Awards
- 2016 – Winner, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- 2005 – Winner, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Main Hoon Na
- 1998 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Border
- 1999 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Soldier
- 2000 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2000 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Biwi No.1
- 2001 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Refugee
- 2001 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Fiza
- 2002 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – Asoka
- 2004 – Nominated, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director – LOC: Kargil
- Star Screen Awards
- 2005 – Winner, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Main Hoon Na
- 2004 – Winner, Star Screen Award Special Tribute – Artist of the decade
- 1995 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Main Khiladi Tu Anari
- 1996 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Border
- 1999 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Soldier
- 2000 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2000 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Biwi No.1
- 2001 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Refugee
- 2001 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Fiza
- 2002 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Asoka
- 2004 – Nominated, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – LOC: Kargil
- 2004 – Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
- 2005 – Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- 2007 – Star Screen Award for Best Music Director – Jaan-E-Mann
- International Indian Film Academy Awards – Anu Malik has highest nominations (7) without a win
- 2005 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Murder
- 2005 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Main Hoon Na
- 2004 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – LOC Kargil
- 2004 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
- 2002 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2001 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Fiza
- 2001 – Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director – Josh
- 2005 – Winner, Popular Award – Best Music Director for Main Hoon Na (2004)
- 2010 – Winner, Asha Bhosle Award – Outstanding Contribution in Music
- 2010 – Winner, Indian Telly Awards – Best reality show judge
- 2014 – Winner, Giants International Awards – lifetime achievement in Music
- 2015 – Winner, Big Star Entertainment Awards – 92.7 BIG FM – Suhana Safar Music Award
|Batti Gul Meter Chalu||One song- "Gold Tamba"|
|2015||Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Winner, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director for the song Moh Moh Ke Dhaage|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala|
|2012||Yeh Jo Mohabbat Hai|
|Gali Gali Chor Hai|
|2011||Yamala Pagla Deewana|
|Toonpur Ka Superhero|
|Chal Chala Chal|
|7 Days in Slow Motion|
|Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam|
|Ugly Aur Pagli|
|Love Story 2050|
|Don Muthu Swami|
|Hastey Hastey - Follow Your Heart||Music score|
|Jaan-E-Mann||Nominated, Screen Award for Best Music Director||1,250,000|
|Jai Santoshi Maa|
|Humko Deewana Kar Gaye|
|My Bollywood Bride|
|Deewane Huye Paagal|
|Shaadi No. 1|
|Bachke Rehna Re Baba|
|Kyaa Kool Hai Hum|
|2004||Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo|
|Bride & Prejudice|
|Aan: Men at Work|
|Main Hoon Na||Winner, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||2,100,000|
|Murder||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||2,200,000|
|Love in Nepal|
|Mujhse Shaadi Karogi||Nominated, Screen Award for Best Music Director||2,000,000|
|2003||Munnabhai MBBS||Nominated, Screen Award for Best Music Director||1,000,000|
|LOC: Kargil||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||1,500,000|
|Mumbai Se Aaya Mera Dost|
|Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon||1,600,000|
|Kucch To Hai||900,000|
|2002||Chor Machaaye Shor|
|Om Jai Jagadish|
|Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein|
|Awara Paagal Deewana|
|Badhaai Ho Badhaai|
|Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin|
|Ab Ke Baras|
|Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||3,200,000|
|Chori Chori Chupke Chupke||2,000,000|
|Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi|
|Fiza||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||2,500,000|
|Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega||2,200,000|
|Refugee||Winner, National Film Award for Best Music Direction
Winner, Filmfare Special Award
|Josh||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||1,800,000|
|Hum To Mohabbat Karega|
|Haseena Maan Jaayegi||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director|
|Biwi No.1||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director|
|Jaanam Samjha Karo||1,800,000|
|Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain||2,200,000|
|Soldier||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||3,500,000|
|Iski Topi Uske Sarr|
|1997||Ankhon Mein Tum Ho|
|Mr. and Mrs. Khiladi|
|Dil Kitna Nadan Hai|
|Border||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||4,500,000|
|Dhaal: The Battle of Law Against Law|
|Dil Deewana Maane Na|
|Ram Aur Shyam|
|Dushman Duniya Ka|
|Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||2,000,000|
|Akele Hum Akele Tum||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||2,500,000|
|1994||Hum Hain Bemisaal|
|Main Khiladi Tu Anari||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||3,350,000|
|Aa Gale Lag Jaa|
|1993||Baazigar||Winner, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director||10,000,000|
|Phool Aur Angaar||2,000,000|
|Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee||2,800,000|
|Radha Ka Sangam|
|Ramgarh Ke Sholay|
|Shikari: The Hunter|
|Doodh Ka Karz|
|Paap Ki Kamaee|
|Gunahon Ka Devta|
|Kalpana House||Malayalam film|
|Ganga Jamuna Saraswati|
|Jeete Hain Shaan Se|
|Insaniyat Ke Dushman|
|Naam O Nishan|
|1986||Ek Chadar Maili Si|
|Pyaar Ke Do Pal|
|Jaan Ki Baazi|
|Phaansi Ke Baad|
|Ram Tera Desh|
|Sohni Mahiwal||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director|
|1983||Ek Jaan Hain Hum|
|1981||Aapas Ki Baat|
|Total known sales||103,100,000|