|Intro||Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken|
|Birth||26 October 1529, Kassel|
|Death||10 July 1591, Meisenheim (aged 61 years)|
Anna of Hesse (26 October 1529, Kassel – 10 July 1591, Meisenheim) was a princess of Hesse by birth and marriage Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken.
Anna was a daughter of Landgrave Philip I of Hesse (1501–1567) from his marriage to Christine (1505–1549), a daughter of Duke George of Saxony.
She married on 24 February 1544 with Count Palatine Wolfgang of Zweibrücken (1526–1569). After the death of her husband, Anna and her brother William and Elector Palatine Louis VI jointly acted as guardians for her children. William was also the executor of Wolfgang's testament.
Around 1590, Anna founded the St. Anne's churchyard in Heidelberg. In 1596, a stone monument in her honor was erected in this churchyard. When the churchyard was closed in 1845, the monument was moved to the Bergfriedhof churchyard.
Anna died in 1591 and was buried in the Lutheran Church of Meisenheim Castle.
From her marriage, Anna had the following children:
- Christine (1546–1619)
- Philip Louis (1547–1614), Count Palatine of Palatinate-Neuburg
- married in 1574 princess Anna of Cleves (1552–1632)
- John I (1550–1604), Count Palatine of Palatinate-Zweibrücken
- married in 1579 princess Magdalene of Jülich-Cleves-Berg (1553–1633)
- Dorothy Agnes (1551–1552)
- Elizabeth (1553–1554)
- Anna (1554–1576)
- Elizabeth (1555–1625)
- Otto Henry (1556–1604), Count Palatine of Palatinate-Sulzbach
- married in 1582 duchess Marie Dorothea of Württemberg (1559-1639)
- Frederick (1557–1597), Count Palatine of Palatinate-Zweibrücken-Vohenstrauss-Parkstein
- married in 1587 duchess Catherine Sophie of Legnica (1561-1608)
- Barbara (1559–1618)
- married in 1591 Count Gottfried of Oettingen-Oettingen (1554-1622)
- Charles I (1560–1600), Count Palatine of Palatinate-Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld
- married in 1586 duchess Maria Dorothea of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1570-1649)
- Maria Elisabeth (1561–1629)
- married in 1585 Count Emich XII of Leiningen-Dagsburg-Hardenburg (1562-1607)
- Susanna (1564–1565)
|Ancestors of Anna of Hesse|