Andreas Brandstädt (born 17 January 1949 in Arnstadt, East Germany) is a German mathematician and computer scientist.
Life and work
He graduated from the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany, with a Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat.) in stochastics in 1976 and a habilitation (Dr. sc. nat.) in complexity theory in 1983. Since 1974 he worked there in the group of his academic teacher Gerd Wechsung.
From 1991 to 1994, he was the professor for Computer Science in the Department of Mathematics, at the University of Duisburg, Germany, and from 1994 to 2014 he was the professor for Theoretical Computer Science at the University of Rostock, Germany.
He was a visiting professor at the universities of Metz, Amiens, and Clermont-Ferrand (France) and at the University of Primorska in Koper (Slovenia). He was Invited Speaker at various conferences in Argentina, Austria, Belarus, Brasil, Canada, China, France, Greece, India, Israel, Norway, Poland, Slovenia, and Switzerland.
Brandstädt is an active researcher in graph algorithms, discrete mathematics, combinatorial optimization, and graph theory. A frequently used tool in his papers is tree structure of graphs and hypergraphs such as for hypertrees, strongly chordal graphs and chordal graphs.
He frequently took part in program committees such as Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science (and three times was a co-organizer of this
conference) and is member of the Editorial Board of Discrete Applied Mathematics.
- Andreas Brandstädt, Graphen und Algorithmen, Teubner-Verlag, Stuttgart, 1994, ISBN 3-519-02131-5
- Andreas Brandstädt, Van Bang Le, and Jeremy P. Spinrad Graph Classes: A Survey, SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications, Philadelphia, PA, 1999, 2nd edition 2004 ISBN 0-89871-432-X
- Andreas Brandstädt, Jeremy P. Spinrad, and Lorna K. Stewart Bipartite permutation graphs, Discrete Applied Math. Vol 18, pp. 279–292, 1987
- Andreas Brandstädt, Feodor Dragan, Victor Chepoi, and Vitaly Voloshin, Dually chordal graphs, SIAM J. Discrete Math. Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 437–455, 1998
- Andreas Brandstädt, Feodor Dragan, and Ekkehard Köhler, Linear time algorithms for Hamiltonian problems on (claw,net)-free graphs, SIAM J. Comput. Vol 30 No. 5, pp. 1662–1677, 2000
- Andreas Brandstädt, Van Bang Le, and R. Sritharan, Structure and linear-time recognition of 4-leaf powers, ACM Transactions on Algorithms Vol. 5, Issue 1, Article No. 11, 2008
- Andreas Brandstädt and Raffaele Mosca, Dominating Induced Matchings for P7-Free Graphs in Linear Time, Algorithmica Vol 68, pp. 998–1018, 2014