peoplepill id: alfred-franke-1
German classical philologist and teacher
|Intro||German classical philologist and teacher|
|A.K.A.||August Alfred Franke|
|Field||Academia Social science|
|Birth||31 July 1870, Thonberg, Leipzig, Leipzig District, German Democratic Republic|
|Death||20 April 1937, Leipzig, Leipzig District, German Democratic Republic (aged 66 years)|
The details (from wikipedia)
Alfred Franke (20 September 1918 – 9 September 1942) was a German Luftwaffe ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. On 9 September 1942, Alfred Franke was killed north of Stalingrad after dog-fighting with a Soviet Il-2 Shturmovik flown by Kapitan Pavel S. Vinogradov. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross on 29 October 1942 and was also promoted to Leutnant. During his career he was credited with 60 aerial victories. 4 on the Western Front and 56 on the Eastern Front.
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class & 1st Class
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe on 13 September 1942 as Oberfeldwebel and pilot
- German Cross in Gold on 25 September 1942 as Oberfeldwebel in the I./Jagdgeschwader 53
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 29 October 1942 as Oberfeldwebel and pilot in the 2./Jagdgeschwader 53
comments so far.