Alexander Semenovich Vinokurov (Russian: Александр Семёнович Винокуров, born October 12, 1982) is a Russian businessman. He is one of the main owners of the privately-held investment company Marathon Group.
- In 2004 he graduated with honours from the faculty of economics of the University of Cambridge. He received a BA and an MA in economics. During the period of his studies he established the Cambridge Russian-Speaking Society, a student organisation, and was elected its president.
- Upon graduating from the faculty of economics of the University of Cambridge, Alexander began his career in 2004 with the investment banking division of Morgan Stanley (London)).
- In 2006 he returned to Russia as vice-president of TPG Capital (the world's largest private equity investment firm, with $100 billion in assets under its management), co-founding the company's Russian office. He was involved in acquisitions of a number of major assets, including shares in VTB upon the state bank's privatisation, stakes in the Moscow office centres White Square and White Gardens, Ontex S.A. (a Belgian manufacturer of personal hygiene products with Russian production facilities), Strauss Coffee and the Lenta hypermarket chain.
- In 2011 he became president of Summa Group, a diversified private holding company, which has significant investments in port and rail logistics, engineering, construction, telecommunications, oil and gas, oil trading and agriculture. Major deals concluded during his tenure included the acquisition of a 71% stake in Fesco from Sergey Generalov's Industrial Investors and the purchase of a 50% stake in United Grain Company from the state.
- In 2014 he became CEO of A1, the investment arm of Alfa Group, which he left in May 2017. Major transactions by A1 during Alexander Vinokurov's time there included the sale of Formula Kino, Russia's second-largest cinema chain, to structures controlled by Alexander Mamut (RUB 6.75-7.65 billion)); acquisition of a stake in Polyplastic (one of Russia's largest manufacturers of plastic pipes), and a deal to find a new investor for leading online auto parts retailer Exist.ru.
- From 2017 he focused on developing co-owned Marathon Group.
Alexander Vinokurov is a member of the supervisory board of the Russian Cycling Federation and Rugby Union of Russia.
Family and personal life
Vinokurov is married, he has three children. His wife Ekaterina Sergeevna Vinokurova, daughter of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Sergey Lavrov,.
Vinokurov is fond of sports, not only business, but also his social activities are often associated with this hobby. During his studies, he played for the Cambridge University team in power lifting.
He also sponsored the Russian aquabike championship at 2019.