Alexander Fehling (born 29 March 1981) is a German film and stage actor. He is best known as Staff Sgt. Wilhelm in the 2009 Quentin Tarantino World War II film, Inglourious Basterds and Jonas Hollander in the Showtime original series Homeland as the boyfriend of Claire Danes's character Carrie Mathison.
Life and career
Fehling was born in East Berlin, East Germany. He studied acting at the Ernst Busch Academy of Dramatic Arts from 2003 until 2007.
Fehling received the Förderpreis Deutscher Film award in the category of drama for his portrayal of Sven Lehnert in the 2006 film, And Along Come Tourists. He had previously won the OE Hasse Prize from the Akademie der Künste, Berlin for his role as Prince in the theater production of Schneewittchen (Snow White).
Fehling is best known to English-speaking audiences for his role as German Master Sgt. Wilhelm in Quentin Tarantino's World War II 2009 film Inglourious Basterds. Fehling is incorrectly referred to as a Staff Sgt by the English captions. Fehling also dubs his performance in the German version of the film.
In October 2015, Fehling began appearing as a series regular in the fifth season of the Showtime original series Homeland. He plays Jonas Hollander, a legal counsel for the Düring Foundation and the boyfriend of Claire Danes's character Carrie Mathison.
- 2005: The O.E. Hasse-Preis of the Akademie der Künste for his role as Prince in Robert Walser's Schneewittchen (Snow White)
- 2007: The Förderpreis Deutscher Film ("German Film Prize") in the best dramatic actor category for his role as Sven Lehnert in the 2006 film, And Along Come Tourists.
- 2011: The Shooting Stars Award by European Film Promotion at the Berlin International Film Festival
Theater and filmography
- Schneewittchen by Robert Walser; directed by Thorsten Lensing and Jan Hein (2005)
- Glaube Liebe Hoffnung by Ödön von Horváth; directed by Thomas Dannemann (2005)
- Die lustigen Nibelungen by Oscar Straus; directed by Robert Borgmann (2006)
- Wallensteins Lager / Die Piccolomini / Wallensteins Tod by Friedrich Schiller; directed by Peter Stein (2007)
- And Along Come Tourists (Director: Robert Thalheim) (2006)
- Buddenbrooks (Director: Heinrich Breloer) (2007)
- Sturm (Director: Hans-Christian Schmid) (2008)
- 13 Semester (Director: Frieder Wittich) (2008)
- Inglourious Basterds (Director: Quentin Tarantino) (2009)
- Goethe! (Director: Philipp Stölzl) (2010)
- Der Fluss war einst ein Mensch (2010)
- If Not Us, Who? (2011)
- Erased (The Expatriate) (2012)
- Labyrinth of Lies (2014)
- Buddy (Director: Michael Bully Herbig (2014)
- Posthumous (2014)
- Atomic Falafel (2015)