Akhilesh Yadav ( pronunciation ; born 1 July 1973) is the National President of Samajwadi Party and the 20th Chief Minister of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Assuming office on 15 March 2012 at the age of 38, he is the youngest person to have held this office. His first significant success in politics was his election as a member of the Lok Sabha for the Kannauj constituency.
Early life and education
Yadav was born in Saifai, Etawah District, Uttar Pradesh. He was born to Mulayam Singh Yadav, later a Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, and Malti Devi. He was schooled at the Dholpur Military School in Rajasthan, then obtained his Bachelor's and master's degrees in Civil Environmental Engineering at Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering (SJCE). He also has a master's degree in environmental engineering from the University of Sydney, Australia.
Yadav married Dimple Yadav on 24 November 1999 and has two daughters and a son. Dimple is also a politician.
- 2000: elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from Kannauj in a by-election in 2000. He was also a member of the Committee on Food, Civil Supplies, and Public Distribution
- 2000–2001: Member of the Committee on Ethics
- 2004–2009: Elected as a member of the 14th Lok Sabha for a second term. He was at times a member of the following committees: Committee on Urban Development, Committee on Provision of Computers for various departments, Committee on Science and Technology, and Committee on Environment and Forests. He was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha for a third term in 2009
- 2009–2012: Member of the Committee on Environment and Forests, Committee on Science and Technology, and the JPC on the 2G spectrum scam
- 10 March 2012: appointed as leader of the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh
- 15 March 2012: at the age of 38 years, he became the youngest Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- On 3 May 2012: resigned from the Kannauj seat to further serve as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh after his party won the Assembly elections
- On 5 May 2012: became a Member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council
According to Aarthi Ramachandran, Yadav was a youth icon in the 2012 elections.
Since Yadav became chief minister, the family has been divided into two feuding groups with him against his father. Yadav has the support of his father's cousin, Ram Gopal. His father is supported by Shivpal (Mulayam Singh's brother) and friend Amar Singh.
On 30 December 2016, Akhilesh was fired from the party by his father one day after he released a separate list of candidates for the upcoming elections, only to be readmitted within a day. The following day he was elected as the national head of Samajwadi party by his party's national convention in Lucknow, replacing his father who termed it as illegal.