|Birth||29 June 1948|
Dr Amrinder Jit Kanwar (born 29 June 1948) is an Indian dermatologist. He has been Senior Profesor and Head, Department of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology, PGI Chandigarh and currently practices in his hometown, New Delhi, India.
Early life and education
Kanwar is the son of Late Shri Inder Singh and Smt Shanti Devi. He attended school in New Delhi and graduated from AIIMS, New Delh in MBBS (Dermatology) in 1969, where he also obtained his post graduate degree (M.D.) in Dermatology and Venereology in 1975. After his senior residency in AIIMS, went on a foreign assignment in Benghazi, Libya. He also served a year in St John’s Institute of Dermatology, London during a Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology. He also spent time in the National Institute of Health, Washington USA in 2006 for a Fellowship in AIDS, and a month in Kurume, Japan in 2010 for special training in Pemphigus.
Kanwar's foreign assignment in Libya, ended in 1987 when he returned to join PGI Chandigarh.
He was awarded Dr B.C. Roy National award, one of the highest recognition given in the field of medicine, by the President of India, on July 1 at the Rastrapati Bhawan. The Indian Medical Council gave him the Lala Ram Chand Kandhari Award to him, in 2010 for his outstanding work in Vitiligo. He was also the irst in India to report efficacy of Rituximab for treatment of Pemphigus He was selected as a fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS) in 2008 and as a Fellow of Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) London in 2011.
He has more than 592 publications to his credit, in national and international Textbooks and Journals. In 2011, he was credited as first in India to report efficacy and safety of Rituximab for treatment of Pemphigus. He is co-author of Textbook of Surgical Management of Vitiligo published by Blackwell
Awards and recognition
- Awarded Dr BC Roy Award (2010) for Eminent Medical Teacher in the field of Dermatology
- Awarded with Dr RV Rajam Oration (2013-2014) Annual Meeting of National Academy of Medical Science)
- Received ICMR Lala Ram Chand Kandhari Award (2010) for his work on therapy and other aspects of vitiligo
- Dr Ambady Oration awarded by Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists (1991)
- Past Vice President and life member of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists
- On the editorial advisory board of the Indian Journal of Paediatric Dermatology
- On the editorial board of Pediatric Dermatology and ANNALS of Dermatology, South Korea
- Best Teacher Award by Indian Association of Dermatologists Venereologists and Leprologists (2015)
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Indian Association of Dermatologists Venereologists and Leprologists (2016)
- "25 Doctors conferred Dr BC Roy Award by the President on Doctors Day - Medical Dialogues". 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Dr RV Rajam Oration" (PDF).
- "ICMR honours 8 PGI medicos for research - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation". www.tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Ghulam Nabi Azad presents ICMR Awards to 51 scientists | India Medical Times". Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Dr AJ Kanwar Ambady Oration" (PDF).
- "About IADVL Academy of Dermatology | Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists (IADVL)". iadvl.org. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Indian Journal of Dermatology: Editorial Board". www.e-ijd.org. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Dr A J Kanwar Pediatric Specialists Greater Kailash Contact Number, Timings, Reviews, Address, & more". www.babychakra.com. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "School of Medical Sciences & Research | Awards and Achievement". smsr.sharda.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-07-03.