Quantcast
peoplepill id: adolf-cluss-1
AC
1 views today
2 views this week
Adolf Cluss
American-German architect

Adolf Cluss

Adolf Cluss
The basics

Quick Facts

Intro American-German architect
A.K.A. Adolph Cluss
Was Architect
From Germany United States of America
Field Engineering
Gender male
Birth 14 July 1825, Heilbronn, Stuttgart Government Region, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Death 24 July 1905, Washington, D.C., District of Columbia, USA (aged 80 years)
Star sign Cancer
Notable Works
Calvary Baptist Church  
Adolf Cluss
The details (from wikipedia)

Biography

Adolf Ludwig Cluss (July 14, 1825 – July 24, 1905) also known as Adolph Cluss was a German-born American immigrant who became one of the most important, influential and prolific architects in Washington, D.C., in the late 19th century, responsible for the design of numerous schools and other notable public buildings in the capital. Today, several of his buildings are still standing. He was also a City Engineer and a Building Inspector for the Board of Public Works.

Red brick was Cluss' favorite building material; that, and his early communist sympathies, led some to dub him the "Red Architect", though he was a man who in later life became a confirmed Republican.

Life

Adolf Cluss(ca. 1860)

He was born on July 24, 1825, in Heilbronn in the Kingdom of Württemberg in Southwest Germany. He was the fifth child of Johann Heinrich Abraham Cluss (1792–1857) and Anna Christine Neuz (1796–1827). His father was a master builder, and young Cluss set out as an itinerant carpenter when he left Heilbronn at age nineteen. In his travels, he met and became a friend of Karl Marx and a supporter of communist principles at a time of political and revolutionary ferment in Germany. He joined the Communist League and became a member of the Mainz Worker Council. The failure of the German revolutionary movement in 1848 led him to leave Germany when he was twenty-three, along with other Forty-Eighters who emigrated to the United States at that time. In the United States, he continued his political activity into the 1850s, maintaining an extensive correspondence with Marx and Engels and writing and publishing political articles for the German-American community.

Early life in America

Adolf Cluss in front of the National Museum (1880)

Adolf Cluss immigrated to the United-States in 1848 at the age of 23. He crossed the Atlantic on board the Zürich, a small sailing ship from Le Havre, France to New York City. He spent the first six months in New York City where he perfected his English. He looked for work in Philadelphia, Baltimore and finally settled in Washington, D.C., in the 1849. In the summer of 1849, he started working for the U.S. Coast Survey as a technical draftsman surveying the Maryland and Virginia coastlines. The following year, we worked at the Washington Navy Yard designing various project for the Ordnance Department. He did not like this position or his life in the city and considered going back to Europe. He considered becoming a bookseller in 1852, requesting funds from his father who did not provide the funds. In 1855, he became a US citizen and transferred to the US Treasury Department as a technical draftsman. He became an abolitionist sometime after that time.

He briefly returned to Europe in 1859 to receive his share of the inheritance this father had left him when he died in 1857 and returned to Philadelphia. He attempted to become a brewer with a friend but the business soon failed and we was back to his old position in the Ordnance Department at the Washington Navy Yard working closely with Admiral John A. Dahlgren.

Private practice

Adolf Cluss started his private practice in 1862. While America was torn apart in the Civil War and while still working at the Navy Yard, Cluss started an architectural office with another German immigrant Josef Wildrich von Kammerhueber. He continued to work full-time at the Navy Yard until the following year and part-time as an architect. His partner was working full-time from Cluss' house on 2nd Street, NW. In 1864, their breakthrough was the Wallach School. Adolf Cluss was 39 years old.

Cluss and Kammerhueber were also civil engineers as many architects at the time. In 1864, the City of Washington requested Cluss and Kammerhueber to write a report on the Washington City Canal and the sewer system. This report led to the Canal being finally covered over in 1871 which had become an open sewer on the National Mall. The partnership ended in 1868. He became an active member of the American Institute of Architects in 1867.

Board of Public Works

Cluss maintained his solo private practice but became a Building Inspector for the Board of Public Works in Washington, DC. The Board was the most powerful entity in the city. Cluss wrote building regulations and was a major proponent of the use of building permits and inspections. On October 18, 1872, he was appointed by President Ulysses S. Grant as a member of the Board of Public Works and City Engineer. This came at the recommendation of Governor Cooke, Alexander "Boss" Shepherd and his predecessor Alfred B. Mullett.

I most earnestly recommend the appointment of Adolph Cluss Esq. to fill the vacancy on the Board of Public Works, caused by my resignation. He is a competent architect and engineer and an earnest and sincere republican, and in my opinion a gentleman of the very highest integrity. I know of no person in the District of Columbia whose appointment would in my opinion give more general satisfaction or who is more competent. Mr. Cluss' appointment would, I think, be highly appreciated by the german republicans of this city.

— Alfred B. Mullett

Cluss had become a member of the local Republican party by then and had led a volunteer committee of local Republicans coordinating parts of the President's inauguration after having been re-elected that same year. He also volunteered in President James A. Garfield's inauguration committee in 1880.

The Board had been working to improve the city by paving and grading roads, adding sewers and planting trees but there was a cost associated with this. The expenditures by the Board of Public Works lead the city to be on the brink of bankruptcy. Adolf Cluss testified before a Joint Committee in May 1874. His appointment was revoked by the President on May 25, 1874. Congress to pass legislation on June 30, 1874, abolishing the territorial government and replacing it with the three-member Board of Commissioners.

Return to private practice

In 1877, he partnered with architect Frederick Daniel with an office at 701 15th Street, NW but the partnership came to an end in 1878. The following year, he started working with architect Paul Schulze. The partnership came to an end in 1889 when Cluss retired from his private practice having built almost 90 buildings including at least eleven schools, as well as markets, government buildings, museums, residences and churches. Cluss' schoolhouse designs were particularly innovative and influential, though only two of his red-brick school masterpieces remain, Franklin School and Sumner School in downtown Washington. The Franklin School was completed in 1869 earning the Washington public school system a Medal for Progress. He designed four major buildings on the National Mall, including the still-standing Smithsonian Arts and Industries Building. He built six houses of worship including Calvary Baptist Church which still stands.

Two of the city's largest food markets, Center Market (1872) and Eastern Market (1873), were built to his design. The first was torn down in 1931 to be replaced by the National Archives Building. The second is still standing having surviving a fire in 2007. His flagship store for Lansburgh's opened in 1882.

Cluss was also active as a builder of mansions for the Washington elite, such as Stewart's Castle on Dupont Circle. In 1880, he was hired to create what became Washington's first apartment building, Portland Flats, an ornate, six-floor, 39-unit creation on the south side of Thomas Circle. Almost all of Cluss' residential creations have been demolished—Portland Flats, for instance, was torn down in 1962 to make way for an office building.

In 1877, he was commission to oversee the reconstruction of the Old Patent Office Building (today the National Portrait Gallery) in Washington, D.C.

American Institute of Architects involvement

Adolf Cluss was an active member of the American Institute of Architects. He became a fellow of the Institute in 1876.

He also attended several conventions over the years:

  • 21st Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects – October 19 to October 21, 1887, in Chicago, IL.
  • 22nd Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects – October 17 to October 19, 1888, in Buffalo, New York, during which he presented a paper: Mortars and Concretes of Antiquity and Modern Times. He attended the conversation with some of his daughters as reported by the transcript of the convention.
  • 24nd Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects – October 22, 1890, in Washington, DC.
  • 25th Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects – October 28, 1891, in Boston, MA
  • 32nd Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects – November 1, 1898, in Washington, D.C. Presented a communication on Acoustics.

He was one of the founding members of the Washington, D.C., chapter in 1887. He attended Annual Meetings of the Washington Chapter including the January 7, 1898, meeting.

In 1889, he was elected for one year as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Institute of Architects.

Inspector of Federal Buildings

He became an Inspector of Federal Buildings in the Office of the Supervising Architect under the United States Department of the Treasury in 1889 after closing his private office in June of that year. He inspected the Ellis Island buildings in February 1892 and wrote a report on July 15, 1892, a few months after the first Immigration Station opened. He testified in front of the House Committee on Immigration and Naturalization on how the humidity was a concern in the building only a few months after it was built. He also inspected many other buildings around the country including the Post Office designed by Alfred B. Mullet in Chicago.

On September 1, 1894, a few months after the death of his wife and after the victory by the Democrats, he was asked for his resignation by Secretary of the Treasury John G. Carlisle. He had solicited letters of support from several prominent people but was replaced by a Democrat.

Personal life

Adolf Cluss (center) with his sister's family, the de Millas in Heidelberg, Germany (1898)

On February 8, 1859, he married Rosa Schmidt (1835–1894) at Zion Lutheran Church in Baltimore, Maryland. They lived in a row house at 413 2nd Street, NW between D Street, NW and E Street, NW for thirty-five years. They raised seven children in that house.

  • Lillian Cluss: She was born on January 2, 1860. She had married William Daw and lived above the Daw's pharmacy at 23rd and H Street NW. She died on February 16, 1935.
  • Anita T. Cluss: She was born on September in 6, 1861. She was a harpist at St. John's Church and in the Georgetown Orchestra. She died on November 25, 1917.
  • Adolph S. Cluss: He was born on January 29, 1863. He worked as a clerk for his father. He died in 1886 at the age of 23 of typhoid fever.
  • Carl Louis Cluss: He was born on August 14, 1865. He worked as pharmacist. He died 1894 (6 months after his mother) of typhoid fever at the age of 29.
  • Flora Maude Cluss: she was born in December 1870. She married Henry S. Lathrop (of New York) on January 21, 1901, and then moved to New York. She died around 1953.
  • Robert Cluss: He was born on November 4, 1873. He died in April 1893 at the age of 19 of tuberculosis.
  • Richard Basil Cluss: He was born on September 30, 1875.

His wife died on April 10, 1894 a year after her son Robert of a lengthy respiratory illness. Following the death of Robert, Carl and Rosa Schmidt, Flora and Anita moved to their sister Lillian's house.

As published in the Evening Star on March 18, 1897, Cluss was on the Delinquent District of Columbia Real Estate Tax List owing $8.41 as of July 1, 1896.

In the spring and summer of 1898, Cluss traveled to Germany, Italy and Central Europe and visited his older sister's (Caroline De Millas née Cluss) family in Heidelberg, Germany.

Adolf Cluss died on July 24, 1905, in Washington, D.C., at the age of 80 years. He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery (Plot: Van Ness, Lot 161 East).

Interviews and publications

  • November 13, 1872: Our Modes of Building – Evening Star. Opinion of Architect Cluss on mansard roofs and the risque of fire following the Great Boston fire of 1872.
  • May 1875: Modern Street – Pavements – Popular Science Monthly.
  • October 1876: Architecture and Architects at the Capital of the United States from its Foundation until 1875 – The American Architect and Building News (Supplement) presented at the Tenth Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects on October 11, 1876, in Philadelphia, PA.
  • October 1888: Mortars and Concretes of Antiquity and Modern Times – The Inland Architect and News Record (October 1888), Building Budget (October 1888) and Building (November 10, 1888). Presented but not read at the 22nd Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects in Buffalo, NY from October 17 to October 19, 1888.
  • November 1898: Professor W. C. Sabine of Harvard University presented a paper title Acoustics followed by a communication by Adolf Cluss at the 32nd Annual Convention of the American Institute of Architects in Washington, DC.

Legacy

Today, several buildings designed and built by Adolf Cluss still stand in the Washington, D.C., area:

  • Calvary Baptist Church
  • Eastern Market
  • Franklin School
  • Sumner School
  • Metropolitan Hook & Ladder Company Fire Engine House – 438 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
  • Smithsonian Institution, Arts and Industries Building
  • Masonic Temple
  • Alexandria City Hall

In 2005, after a ceremonial resolution by the DC Council, DC Mayor Anthony A. Williams made a proclamation that 2005 would be "Adolf Cluss Year" from July 2005 to June 2006. Joint exhibitions would be presented in Washington, D.C., at the Charles Sumner School Museum and at the Stadtarchiv in his birthplace of Heilbronn, Germany. Both exhibits closed but a website remains: Adolf-Cluss.org

A small street in Washington, D.C., was named in his honor: Adolf Cluss Court. It connects C St SE to D St SE between 12th Street SE and 13th St SE. 38°53′05.1″N 76°59′21.3″W / 38.884750°N 76.989250°W / 38.884750; -76.989250

A bridge is named in his honor in his birthplace of Heilbronn, Germany over the Neckar river, at 49°08′37.2″N 9°12′59.3″E / 49.143667°N 9.216472°E / 49.143667; 9.216472.

Buildings

A descriptive list of Cluss's known buildings and an interactive map showing their locations can be found here.

While Adolf Cluss designed and built close to 90 different buildings in his career, few survive today. In green are the buildings still standing today.

Churches

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Saint Stephen Martyr Catholic Church Construction: 1866-68
Demolished: 1959
2436 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′11.8″N 77°03′10.8″W / 38.903278°N 77.053000°W / 38.903278; -77.053000
Tabernacle Church Construction: 1881-82
Demolished: 1959
202 9th St SW (9th St & B St, SW)
Washington, DC
38°53′14.6″N 77°01′25.4″W / 38.887389°N 77.023722°W / 38.887389; -77.023722
Universalist Church of Our Father Construction: 1882
Demolished: 1973
Southeast corner of 13th & L St, NW
Washington, DC
38°54′13.0″N 77°01′45.9″W / 38.903611°N 77.029417°W / 38.903611; -77.029417
Chapel of Saint Paul Construction: 1886
Demolished: 1950
1419 V St NW
Washington, DC
38°55′05.8″N 77°02′03.3″W / 38.918278°N 77.034250°W / 38.918278; -77.034250
Today it is occupied by St Augustine's Church.

Markets

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Center Market (1864) Partial Construction: 1864
Demolished: 1865
Pennsylvania Avenue between 7th and 9th Streets, NW
Washington, DC
38°53′35.1″N 77°01′22.7″W / 38.893083°N 77.022972°W / 38.893083; -77.022972
In 1863, Mayor Richard Wallach had Adolf Cluss and Joseph Wildrich von Kammerhueber design a brick structure on B Street NW (Constitution Avenue). A two-story building was designed and construction started. By June 1864, a unanimous vote from both the members of the House of Representatives District Committee and then the entire House of Representatives stopped the project as Congress had not authorized the building. It was torn down but the walls were already up and showed what a modern market could look like.

Schools

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Wallach School Construction: 1864
Demolished: 1950
Northeast corner of 7th and D St SE, off of Pennsylvania Ave SE
Washington, DC
38°53′05.4″N 76°59′44.1″W / 38.884833°N 76.995583°W / 38.884833; -76.995583
Cluss and Kammerhueber's first project. It was located a block from his future market project: Eastern Market.
O Street School
(2nd Story)
Construction: 1871
Demolished: 1951
429 O St NW (between 4th and 5th St NW)
Washington, DC
38°54′31.4″N 77°1′03.0″W / 38.908722°N 77.017500°W / 38.908722; -77.017500
Seaton School Construction: 1871
Demolished: 1969
I St NW between 2nd and 3rd St NW
Washington, DC
William Cranch School Construction: 1872
Demolished: after 1949
Southwest corner of 12th and G St SE
Washington, DC
38°52′52.0″N 76°59′25.7″W / 38.881111°N 76.990472°W / 38.881111; -76.990472
Jefferson School Construction: 1872-73
Burned and rebuilt: 1882
Demolished: 1960
6th St and Virginia Ave SW
Washington, DC
Curtis School Construction: 1875
Demolished: 1951
O St NW between 32nd and 33rd St NW
Washington, DC
Henry School Construction: 1880
Demolished
6th and 7th St NW
Washington, DC
The Academy of the Visitation Construction: 1877
Demolished: 1923
Connecticut Ave NW between L and DeSales St NW
Washington, DC
St. Matthew's Institute Construction: 1866
Demolished: 1905
1424 K St NW
Washington, DC
St. John's College Construction: 1880
Tower addition: 1889
Demolished: 1960
Thomas Circle
Vermont Ave NW between M and N St NW
Washington, DC
Lincoln School (Consultation for repairs) Plans for repairs: 1871
Demolished
2nd and C St SE
Washington, DC

Federal buildings

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture

Military commissions

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Powder Magazines for the Navy Yard Construction: between 1859 and 1864
Demolished
Washington Navy Yard
Washington, DC
Powder Magazines for the US Arsenal Construction: between 1861 and 1864
Demolished
US Arsenal
(Fort Lesley J. McNair)
4th, One-Half and P St SW
Washington, DC
US Arsenal: Officers Barracks
(remodel of east and west wings of the penitentiary)
Remodel: 1869
West building demolished: 1903
US Arsenal
(Fort Lesley J. McNair)
4th, One-Half and P St SW
Washington, DC
Officer's Quarters at Washington Barracks
Today: Building 21
Construction: 1885 US Arsenal
(Fort Lesley J. McNair)
4th, One-Half and P St SW
Washington, DC
38°51′56.9″N 77°01′00.7″W / 38.865806°N 77.016861°W / 38.865806; -77.016861

Local governments

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture

Hospitals and homes

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Smallpox Hospital Construction: 1872
Demolished
1900 Massachusetts Ave SE
Washington, DC
38°53′7.9″N 76°58′26.1″W / 38.885528°N 76.973917°W / 38.885528; -76.973917
St. Aloysius Church Industrial Home for Women Construction: 1871
Demolished: ca. 1970
Northeast corner of K and North Capitol St NE
Washington, DC
38°54′09.6″N 77°00′31.7″W / 38.902667°N 77.008806°W / 38.902667; -77.008806
Washington Hospital for Foundlings
Renamed: Washington Home for Foundlings
Construction: 1899-1900
Demolished
Bethesda, MD

Museums

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture

Commercial and office buildings

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
John M. Young Stores and Residences
(7th Street NW)
Construction 1883
Demolished
1502-1506 7th St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′35.0″N 77°1′19.6″W / 38.909722°N 77.022111°W / 38.909722; -77.022111
This was one of John M. Young's commercial-residential properties. It was a three-unit row at 7th St NW and P St NW with stores on the ground floor and residential space above. It stood across from the Henry School also designed by Adolf Cluss.
John M. Young Store and Residence
(Pennsylvania Avenue NW)
Construction: 1879
Demolished: 1941
475 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°53′31.6″N 77°1′00.5″W / 38.892111°N 77.016806°W / 38.892111; -77.016806
This was the first building designed by Cluss and Schulze for John M. Young on the prestigious Pennsylvania Avenue. It was demolished with several other buildings to build the new DC central library in 1941.
Lansburgh's Department Store (8th Street NW) Construction: 1885
Demolished
417 8th Street NW
Washington, DC
38°53′44″N 77°1′22.3″W / 38.89556°N 77.022861°W / 38.89556; -77.022861
The two-story building was designed by Cluss and Schulze right being their 7th St store. It is believed to have been used as a warehouse or shipping and receiving department. It connected to the 7th St building by an alley.
Montgomery Meigs Office Construction: 1882
Demolished
1318 N St NW
Washington, DC
Samuel Herman Store and Residence (# 415) Construction: 1866
Demolished
415 4 1/2 St SW
Washington, DC
Joseph P. Herman Store and Residence (#324) Construction: 1870
Demolished: 1930s
324 4 1/2 St SW
Washington, DC
Samuel Herman Stores and Residences (# 323-327) Constructed: 1870
Demolished: ca. 1900
323-327 4 1/2 St SW
Washington, DC
Wolford and Shilberg Store Construction: 1871
Demolished: 1950s
437 7th St SW
Washington, DC

Hotels and boarding houses

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture

Halls

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
YMCA Building (containing the Lincoln Hall auditorium) Construction: 1867
Burned down: 1886
Northeast corner of
9th and D St NW
Washington, DC
38°53′41.7″N 77°01′26.0″W / 38.894917°N 77.023889°W / 38.894917; -77.023889
Naval Masonic Lodge (Remodel) Remodel with additions: 1867
Demolished
5th St SE and Virginia Ave SE
Washington, DC

Residential

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
William Stickney Residence Construction: 1868
Demolished: 1970s
Northwest corner of 6th and M St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′20.7″N 77°01′12.2″W / 38.905750°N 77.020056°W / 38.905750; -77.020056
Franklin Terrace Row Houses Construction: 1869
Demolished: between 1890 and 1934
K St NW between 14th St NW and Vermont Ave NW
Washington, DC
Shepherd's Row Construction: 1873
Demolished: 1952
1701-1705 K St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′09.8″N 77°02′19.5″W / 38.902722°N 77.038750°W / 38.902722; -77.038750
Fanny Washburn Payson Residence Construction: 1873-74
Demolished: 1920s
1439 K St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′09.7″N 77°02′02.5″W / 38.902694°N 77.034028°W / 38.902694; -77.034028
Samuel Carter Residence Construction: 1878-79
Demolished: 1912
1316 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′28.5″N 77°02′33.7″W / 38.907917°N 77.042694°W / 38.907917; -77.042694
Phillips Row Construction: 1878
Demolished: 1948
1302-1314 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′27.0″N 77°02′32.8″W / 38.907500°N 77.042444°W / 38.907500; -77.042444
Edward Weston Residence Construction: 1878
Demolished: 1950
1426 K St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′08.6″N 77°01′59.9″W / 38.902389°N 77.033306°W / 38.902389; -77.033306
Mary Biddle Residence Construction: 1878
Demolished: 1950s
1447 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′23.0″N 77°02′0.0″W / 38.906389°N 77.033333°W / 38.906389; -77.033333
Spencer F. Baird Residence Construction: 1878-80
Demolished
1445 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′23.2″N 77°02′0.8″W / 38.906444°N 77.033556°W / 38.906444; -77.033556
Walter Davidge Residence Construction: 1880
Demolished: 1942
Southeast corner of 17th and H St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′0.4″N 77°02′21.5″W / 38.900111°N 77.039306°W / 38.900111; -77.039306
Thomas Ferguson Residence Construction: 1881
Demolished: 1959
1435 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°54′22.9″N 77°01′59.8″W / 38.906361°N 77.033278°W / 38.906361; -77.033278
Christian Heurich worker houses Construction: 1885
Demolished
1925-1931 M Street NW
Washington, DC
38°54′20.6″N 77°02′40.3″W / 38.905722°N 77.044528°W / 38.905722; -77.044528
John Smith Residence Construction: 1886
Demolished
1721 Lanier Ave NW
Washington, DC
38°55′32.8″N 77°02′25.1″W / 38.925778°N 77.040306°W / 38.925778; -77.040306
Henry H. Wells Jr. Residence Constructed in 1887 428-430 M St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′20″N 77°01′02.9″W / 38.90556°N 77.017472°W / 38.90556; -77.017472
William Wuerdemann Residence Construction: 1887
Demolished: ca. 1910
200 1/2 Delaware Ave and B St NE
Washington, DC
38°53′32.2″N 77°00′29.7″W / 38.892278°N 77.008250°W / 38.892278; -77.008250
John R. Elvans Residence Construction: 1866
Demolished: ca. 1960
928 M St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′20.1″N 77°01′31.7″W / 38.905583°N 77.025472°W / 38.905583; -77.025472
Thomas Ferguson Row Houses Construction: 1882
Demolished
1428-1434 N St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′25.9″N 77°01′59.7″W / 38.907194°N 77.033250°W / 38.907194; -77.033250
George B. Loring Residences Construction: 1879
Demolished
1521-1523 K St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′25.9″N 77°01′59.7″W / 38.907194°N 77.033250°W / 38.907194; -77.033250
William S. Hoge Residence Construction: 1885
Demolished
1402 15th St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′31.8″N 77°02′04.8″W / 38.908833°N 77.034667°W / 38.908833; -77.034667
Katherine McCarthy Residence Construction: 1885
Demolished
917 15th St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′06.2″N 77°02′04.8″W / 38.901722°N 77.034667°W / 38.901722; -77.034667
C. A. Schneider Residences Construction: 1885
Demolished
1908-1910 I St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′04.6″N 77°02′38.1″W / 38.901278°N 77.043917°W / 38.901278; -77.043917
William F. Mattingly and Michael W. Beveridge Residences Constructed: 1870
Demolished: 1930s
1616-1618 H St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′00.5″N 77°02′19.6″W / 38.900139°N 77.038778°W / 38.900139; -77.038778
John K. Wills Residences Construction: 1870
Demolished: 1940s
1013-1015 14th St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′10.5″N 77°01′54.7″W / 38.902917°N 77.031861°W / 38.902917; -77.031861
General Noah L. Jeffries Residence Construction: 1871
Demolished: ca. 1922
1505 K St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′09.7″N 77°02′07″W / 38.902694°N 77.03528°W / 38.902694; -77.03528
Edward F. Droop House (Renovation) Renovation: 1883
Demolished 1918
726-728 12th St NW
Washington, DC
38°53′57.6″N 77°01′41.6″W / 38.899333°N 77.028222°W / 38.899333; -77.028222

Others

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
Stanford Stable Construction: 1886
Demolished: ca. 1920-21
South side of L St NW between 18th and 19th St NW
Washington, DC
38°54′13.2″N 77°02′33.6″W / 38.903667°N 77.042667°W / 38.903667; -77.042667
Ulysses S. Grant Inaugural Ball Building (temporary structure) Construction: 1873
Demolished
Judiciary Square
Washington, DC

Construction oversight

Adolf Cluss took some projects as a builder (general contractor) designed by other architects.

Name Dates Location / GPS Description Picture
The contents of this page are sourced from Wikipedia article on 24 Nov 2021. The contents are available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
comments so far.
Comments
From our partners
Sponsored
Reference sources
References
Sections Adolf Cluss

arrow-left arrow-right instagram whatsapp myspace quora soundcloud spotify tumblr vk website youtube pandora tunein iheart itunes