Prof. Dr. Abdul Rashid Moten (born February 20, 1947) is a Bangladeshi Muslim political scientist, academi, and author on issues ranging from political science and its various aspects, Islamic methodology in political science, political movements in the Muslim world, and good governance from the Islamic perspective. According to Worldcat, he is the author of 23 works in 60 publications in 3 languages.
After completing his B.A. and M.A. in Political Science from the University of Dhaka, Abdul Rashid Moten completed his second M.A. in Political Theory from Villanova University in the U.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Alberta in Canada.
Starting his career from 1972 at Chittagong University, Bangladesh, Abdul Rashid Moten joined the University of Alberta as a lecturer of the Department of Political Science in 1976, followed by Bayero University in the Department of Political Science (1978–92) and finally joined International Islamic University Malaysia (1992–present), where he later became Professor in the Department of Political Science.
Role as Editor
He was the Editor of the journal Intellectual Discourse (2001-2008), and is presently the Editor of the journal International Journal of Islamic Thoughts (IJITs).
He has written and edited numerous books and published a large number of academic articles. A list of books by the author include:
- Islam and Revolution: Contribution of Sayyid Mawdudi. Kano: Bureau for Islamic Propagation. 1988.
- Frontiers and Mechanics of Islamic Economics. Molla R.I., A.R. Moten, S. Gusau, A.A. Gwandu (eds.), Sokoto: University of Sokoto. 1988.
- Nature and Methodology of Islamic Economics. Moten A.R and M.O.K Bajulaiye-Shahshi (eds.), Kano: Bayero University. 1990.
- Islam in Africa: Proceedings of the Islam in Africa Conference. Nura Alkali, Adamu Adamu, Dr. Awwal Yadudu, Dr. Rashid Moten and Haruna Salihi (eds.), Ibadan: Spectrum Books Limited. 1993.
- Political Science: An Islamic Perspective. London: Macmillan. 1996. Translated into Bahasa Indonesia and Bengali.15 editions published between 1990 and 1996.
- Revolution to Revolution: Jama'at-e-Islami in the Politics of Pakistan. Kuala Lumpur: the Other Press. 2002.
- Introduction to Political Science. Moten A.R. and Serajul Islam. Singapore: Thomson Learning. 1995. 9 editions published between 1995 and 2015.
- Political Science: A Primer. Islam, S. Serajul and A.R. Moten. Singapore: Thomson Learning. 2005.
- Government and Politics in Malaysia. Moten A.R. (ed.), Singapore: Cengage Learning. 2008.