A. C. Lyons (1873-1942) was an American architect from Fairmont, West Virginia.
Life and career
A. C. Lyons was born in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1873. When he was an infant, the family moved to Pittsburgh, before moving on to Huntington, West Virginia, in 1880. The family later returned to Pittsburgh, where Lyons finished his schooling.
Lyons began his architectural career in 1888, in the office of Pittsburgh architect Solomon Munsch. In 1891 he went to Fairmont to manage a branch office for the firm, now Munsch & Huemme. In 1894 this was expanded to a partnership, Munsch, Huemme & Lyons, with offices in Pittsburgh and Fairmont. The firm became known as S. Munsch & Company upon Huemme's departure. After Munsch's death in 1898, Lyons established his own office in Fairmont.
Lyons quickly grew to become one of the most prominent architects in northeast West Virginia. In 1904, he established a branch office at Elkins, a small city then undergoing rapid growth. He was also, around 1902, associated with John C. Tibbets as Lyons & Tibbets. He practiced until at least the 1920s, but by then he lost prominence to other architects, including R. A. Gillis, Jones & Nuzum, and Coy H. Snider. He died in Fairmont in 1942.
At least two buildings designed by Lyons have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and several more contribute or did contribute to listed historic districts. In 2013, local historian Dr. M. Raymond Alvarez called Lyons "the primary architect, literally, of Fairmont’s transition from a sleepy county seat to a bustling commercial center".
- 1894 - Merchants and Mechanics Savings Bank Building, 101 W Main St, Grafton, West Virginia
- 1895 - First M. E. Church (remodeling), 118 Clarksburg St, Mannington, West Virginia
- 1898 - McCoy Building, 109 Fairmont Ave, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1900 - Clyde E. Hutchinson House, 701 Benoni Ave, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1900 - Sample Building, 221 Monroe St, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1902 - Thomas W. Arnett House, 707 Benoni Ave, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1902 - Jacobs-Hutchinson Block, 205 Adams St, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1903 - Jacobs Building, 316 Monroe St, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1904 - Randolph Hotel, Railroad Ave, Elkins, West Virginia
- 1905 - Fifth Ward School (former), 601 Locust Ave, Fairmont, West Virginia
- 1905 - Woman's Hall, Fairmont State Normal School, Fairmont, West Virginia
- On the former Fairmont Avenue campus. Demolished in 1924.
- 1907 - First Ward School (former), 1301 S Davis Ave, Elkins, West Virginia
- 1907 - Scott Building, 309 Scott St, Elkins, West Virginia
- 1907 - Third Ward School (former), 978 Harrison Ave, Elkins, West Virginia
- 1908 - Rivesville School (former), 168 Jasper St, Rivesville, West Virginia
- 1910 - Consolidation Coal Office Building, 78 Millers Creek Rd, Van Lear, Kentucky
- 1916 - Professional Building, 311 Cleveland Ave, Fairmont, West Virginia
- With Coy H. Snider.
- ^ "Lyons, Andrew C., Architect. Drawings for Buildings in Fairmont, West Virginia 1890-2013". http://findingaids.lib.wvu.edu/. n.d.
- ^ Fleming-Watson Historic District NRHP Nomination. 2001.
- Fairmont Downtown Historic District NRHP Nomination. 1995.
- American Architect and Building News 20 June 1903: x. Boston.
- Plumbers' Trade Journal, Steam and Hot Water Fitters' Review 15 Oct. 1904: 436.
- Daily Bulletin of the Manufacturers' Record 21 Sept. 1905: 250. Baltimore.
- ^ Daily Bulletin of the Manufacturers' Record 23 May 1907. Baltimore.
- Daily Bulletin of the Manufacturers' Record 10 April 1907. Baltimore.
- Municipal Journal and Engineer 22 July 1908: 129. New York.
- American Contractor 28 May 1910: 50. Chicago.
- American Contractor 24 June 1916: 82. Chicago.