Beate Schmidt (born Wolfgang Schmidt October 5, 1966) is a German serial killer. From October 1989 to April 1991, Schmidt murdered five women and an infant. Schmidt is a trans woman.
Schmidt was born Wolfgang Schmidt on October 5, 1966 in Lehnin, Brandenburg, Germany.
Schmidt murdered five women and a three month old baby:
- Edeltraut Nixdorf, 51, killed on October 24, 1989.
- Christa Naujoks, 45, raped and strangled to death on May 24, 1990.
- Inge Fischer, 34, raped and stabbed to death on March 13, 1991 in Beelitz.
- Tamara Petrowskaja, 44, strangled to death on March 22, 1991. Schmidt struck her son against a tree stump.
- Talita Bremer, 66, strangled to death in April 5, 1991 and corpse was raped.
The nickname the "Pink Giant" came from both the killer's size and alleged penchant for pink lingerie. The area where some of the crimes took place led to a second moniker, the "Beast of Beelitz".
On August 1, 1991 Schmidt was arrested: two men had found Schmidt masturbating while wearing a bra under a jacket. Schmidt was sentenced to 15 years in prison and detention in a psychiatric hospital. in Brandenburg an der Havel.
An application for a name change to Beate Schmidt was met by the court in 2001. Since 2009 Schmidt has undergone a hormone treatment for gender reassignment. In 2010, Schmidt was investigated for raping and causing another transsexual inmate to attempt suicide.