Valentin Yosifovich Gaft (Russian: Валенти́н Ио́сифович Гафт; born 2 September 1935 in Moscow) is a Russian and Soviet actor, People's Artist of Russia (1984).
Valentin Gaft was born in Moscow to a family of a lawyer Iosif Romanovich Gaft (1907–1969) and Gita Davydovna Gaft (1908–1993). The family moved to Moscow from Poltava, Ukraine. During World War II Iosif Gaft served in the Red Army finishing with the rank of Major.
Valentin Gaft graduated from the School-Studio at the Moscow Art Theatre (1953–1957). Among the students of the same course were future popular actors Oleg Tabakov and Maya Menglet. Gaft started his work for the cinema in 1956 in the Mikhail Romm's film Murder on Dante Street.
After graduating Gaft worked for a number of theaters including the Mossovet Theater, Leninski Komsomol Theatre (under famous director Anatoly Efros), Theater of Satire. In 1969 he started to work for the Sovremennik Theatre and works there to the present time.
Today Gaft is one of the most popular Russian actors both as a stage and as a movie actors. He also the author of poisonous but extremely popular epigrams against many theatrical and movie figures. Gaft is married to Olga Ostroumova, a popular actress.
For "statements contradicted the interests of our national security" Gaft is banned from entering Ukraine.
- The Master and Margarita (miniseries) (2005) - Joseph Kaifa/NKVD officer
- Tender Age (2000)
- Old Hags (2000) - general Dubovitsky
- The Master and Margarita (1994 film) (1994) - Woland
- Promised Heaven (1991)
- Say a Word for the Poor Hussar (1981)
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland;
- 2nd class (2 September 2010) - for outstanding contribution to the development of domestic theatrical art and many years of creative activity
- 3rd class (2 September 2005) - for outstanding contribution to the development of theatrical art, and many years of creative activity
- Order of Friendship (11 August 1995) - for services to the state and achievements in work and significant contribution to strengthening friendship and cooperation between nations
- People's Artist of the RSFSR (1984)